does sony make a housing for its digital video cams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife has been shooting video with a fairly old sony handycam and a custom housing for a number of years. Its time to get new stuff and she heard that Sony now makes a housing for its underwater video. But the only Sony-built housing I can find is only good to around 17 feet -- its for snorkeling, I guess.

Is there a Sony made true underwater housing and if so, does anyone know where I can find out more about it?

Thanks

sdwho:
Is there a Sony made true underwater housing and if so, does anyone know where I can find out more about it?
They have at times, afaik they don't currently. There was a link to one on SonyStyle last year but it disappeared last summer so I removed it from the video housings list. Older models can be found on eBay.

Curious as to why you'd want one, they're kind of heavy and don't have as many features as the better housings from a third party vendor. And as I recall they were kind of pricey, in the $1500-2000 range.

If you do look for one, you want a true Marine Pack, not a Marine Sports Pack - that's the 17' one you found.

sdwho:
My wife has been shooting video with a fairly old Sony handy cam and a custom housing for a number of years. Its time to get new stuff and she heard that Sony now makes a housing for its underwater video. But the only Sony-built housing I can find is only good to around 17 feet -- its for snorkeling, I guess.

Thanks

As far as I know this the only housing good to over 200'.
You can get one from AIKO TRADING, I got a SPK from them a few years ago and I can say they were very prompt in delivery. The housing is made in Japan what is a good thing, but they are also made for the Japanese market so if you decide to buy from them expect that all the brochures and manuals to be in Japanese.
If you'll consider the Sony MPK-DVF7 IMHO beside the high price over $2200 this housing will accommodate only a handful of Sony camcorders (there is a list on AIKO website) that are in my opinion on the bottom of the list of the camcorders that would give decent results.
If you'll keep an eye on e-bay now and then a MPK-TRV older models can be found.
This housing are big and bulky, but underwater they are very stable easy to use and with small modifications they can accommodate any Sony camcorder that has a LANC connection.
I own one, I've bought mine in 1999 and I was able to use three different camcorders over the years, now I've just get a Sony HC1 and fits perfect without major changes.
Hopping I didn't bored you to death, as a general idea the ideal setup would be the best camcorder you can afford and a housing that can accommodate different models without major modifications.
Good luck

As far as I know this the only housing good to over 200'.
The only Sony housing maybe. Gates, L&M and Amphibico are guaranteed to at least 330'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom