recommendations for 1st uw video setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverKKC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, folks.

I have always been interested in underwater videography but, unfortunately, haven't have the extra finances recently.

Can anyone here recommend a reasonably priced camcorder/housing/(+ or-)lights setup for someone just starting out? It would be nice to have the option to upgrade as I gain experience.

I don't need the world's most professional video, but would like to be able to obtain decent video to share with friends and family.

Also, what functions should I specifically look for? There are so options for a first setup, it's a little overwhelming.

I would be shooting in all kinds of environments, but am specifically looking for a setup for next year's Bonaire trip.

Thanks for any help.

DiverKKC:
Hello, folks.

I have always been interested in underwater videography but, unfortunately, haven't have the extra finances recently.

Can anyone here recommend a reasonably priced camcorder/housing/(+ or-)lights setup for someone just starting out? It would be nice to have the option to upgrade as I gain experience.

I don't need the world's most professional video, but would like to be able to obtain decent video to share with friends and family.

Also, what functions should I specifically look for? There are so options for a first setup, it's a little overwhelming.

I would be shooting in all kinds of environments, but am specifically looking for a setup for next year's Bonaire trip.

Thanks for any help.

Hi DiverKKC,
I just went through what you are currently experiencing... I spent weeks pouring over different housings and video cameras. Sony, Canon, Amphibico, Ikelite, Gates etc etc..

I just took delivery of my Sony HC7 HD camcorder and an Amphibico EVO dive buddy HD Elite housing with HID lights. One thing about getting into this area of diving is it's expensive to start out...remember back to when we bought our scuba gear and thought that would be it...spending $$ never ends in this sport. I would suggest buying equipment that can grow with you rather than a stop-gap measure just to get into the u/w arena.

Since you are getting ready to do a trip to Bonaire a lighting system may not be necessary but they are a "nice to have" but if you are diving deep...where ambient light starts to filter out you will need that extra "pop"

The one drawback of my setup is no MWB- manual white balance. But I can attach a filter to my HID lamp to compensate for that..that seems to be the biggest feature that most divers look for in a system. I do my color correction in post production as well.

There are manual and electronic housings to consider. Ikelite for the most part makes manual...in my experience the problem with manual housings is that they tend to "stick" as you go deeper..you can however buy spacers to combat that. My Amphibico housing is electronic with all the operation buttons on one handle with a trigger (looks and feels like a joy stick on a fighter pilot simulation game. The advantage of an electronic system is you do not have to remove your hands from the handles to find the controls on the housing to adjust - which means less camera shake - which can detract from your viewers experience.

Gotta go back to work...boss is coming...

Anybody else want to chime in here.

Good luck in your purchase...you WILL sleep again...:D

I just set up a basic video rig this spring. I avoided the whole HD issue by buying an inexpensive Canon DV camera, and an Ikelite housing. The camera takes decent enough video, is inexpensive enough for me not to freak out if it should flood, and the ikelite housing is fine for the depths this unit will go to.

The only real drawbacks seem to be that I can't see the screen while I film unless I look through the tiny viewfinder. Were I to do it again, I'd try to get a camera or a housing that let me see the screen while filming. Having access to a manual white balance would be very nice, as trying to color correct in post is a pain.

I can't offer you any help with lights as I didn't get any. HID or LED seem to be the way to go here though.

As for camera's Sony seems to have the most support in the aftermarket when it comes to housings, but frankly, I hate Sony cameras.

Good luck!

What a road to hoe. Been there and done that!
Personally I went with the electronic controls (Ocean Images Dolphin). The main reason being that when you flood and ruin a camera you don't have to buy a new housing. Or for some reason the camera stops working and you can't get it repaired (been there) you don't have to buy the new housing. You might get luckyfinding a camera in 10 years that will work but why risk it. Right now I could buy the Sony HD line and pop it right in my housing. My housing is almost 20yrs old..I bought it used.

Manual white balance...pick your fight. Personally I don't like messing with it. Set everything to auto and go. Kinda like a point and shoot camera but it's video. If I was doing pro video it might be a different story. For the most part you can correct for it during editing.

Lights, just went with the Niterider set up. Actually bought it for a dive light and expanded to do video lights. They work without washing everything out. Since I'm not doing pro work the money was well spent. Like mentioned before, for tropical dives you should be able to get by without them.

Something else that you might want to consider is buying a camera that can also do video. They are short but that might just do what you want.

If your head isn't spinning enough you might venture over to wetpixel.com. Bunch of good people over there.

Good luck on your adventure.

you are going to get a wide range of recommendations!!

First consider your price range and how much you can lose. If you have a failure of some sort and flood or damage your rig, are you going to kill yourself or just learn from it and buy another one.

Second consider how much you dive and your diving abilities vs. fun factor. If you don't dive much, the video rig may be hinderance to your dives.

Third consider how much time you have to edit - underwater video is 10% diving, 90% editing as far as time.... You need a good fast computer, decent software, and lots of time to watch clips over and over and over and cut and watch it again and repeat over and over.

Personally I do 40-60 dives per year and don't have alot of spare cash. I bought an Ikelite housing and a Sony standard format camcorder, total cost about $1300. Also I bought a new computer and software for $1200 to stand-alone and not affect the rest of my family who need the internet computer (fighting over computer time was not an option).
Would my videos be better if I bought an HD camcorder ($1000+) and an electronic housing($1500-5000) - maybe, but I couldn't afford to go diving then. I am a diver first, a videographer second.
Also, I recommend you don't buy the camcorder until you are sure you can get a housing you can afford to go with it.

robint

I’ll toss my opinion in as well. eBay. I bought an Ocean Images housing for $300 and a Sony PC120 for $250.
Then added a pair of Nocturnal SP50 lights. I made my own tray for the lights and I’m very happy with the package. It takes great footage and like Robin said, I’m a diver first and a videographer second. She was also right about the post production time and I’ll add disk space. I now have 3 120 GIG removable drives and need another. Hours of post production time is in your future.

Again, I’ll say buy used to start, you may find out that diving while shooting video is not your thing.

Dave

Teamcasa:
Again, I’ll say buy used to start, you may find out that diving while shooting video is not your thing.

Dave

Can't belive I forgot to mention that. The two new items that I have on my rig are one light head and the mount. But the mount was free.

DiverKKC:
Can anyone here recommend a reasonably priced camcorder/housing/(+ or-)lights setup for someone just starting out?
Reasonable and underwater video don't generally appear in the same sentence...:D
It would be nice to have the option to upgrade as I gain experience.
Since you're considering this, you don't want to get locked into a platform that won't allow for future expansion. Resale value on used u/w video gear is poor.

On the camera side, I recommend any of the HDV models unless the budget just can't go that high. Footage shot on a miniDV system, while very good, doesn't scale well on a 50" HDTV. There's also a question of format. Most u/w videographers shoot on MiniDV tape - including those shooting HDV.

Otoh - Sony, Canon and JVC all recently introduced HDD models. Same optics bigger storage capacity. But they use AVCHD compression, a new format just starting to be supported by some of the editing software companies. My feeling is that everything will be HDD or solid state media in the next few years as it trickles down. I wouldn't consider a DVD camcorder, you trade quality for length and editing is a hassle since the DVD is finalized for use.

Since you might upgrade in the future consider an electronically controlled housing vs. a mechanical one.

A mechanical housing locks you into the camera it's built for and maybe others in the same series, but they need to have the same controls in the same locations. Manufacturers seem to release new models every couple of years that are smaller and purposely have the controls in a different location. You can send in a mechanical housing and have it reworked but this can cost $2-400 depending on the changes.

An electronic housing gives you more upgrade options since you just "plug it in". But this locks you into Sony cameras as they are the only manufacturer who currently provides the required LANC control jack.

Most housing mfr's only make housings for Sony, JVC or Canon cameras anyway.

Housings to consider:

Electronic:

under $1000
Ocean Images Dolphin
TopDawg II
under $2000
USVH MiniDV
Ocean Images HC series (specific to the HDR-HC models)
under $3000
Amphibico
Light & Motion

Mechanical
around $1000
Ikelite
under/around $2000
Equinox
Aquavideo
over $2200
Gates

links to all these mfr's are here.

You're basically going to want zoom/wide angle, power on/off/standby, focus lock possibly white balance - some will post that this is mandatory but that's not been my experience. Any other controls are probably nice to have in the price range you're considering. Manual focus, iris control and other functions seem to be available in housings that cost $3500 and up. An exception is models that provide touch control for the LCD screen. O/I does this for white balance, Ikelite also on their HC models.

Most housings will also allow you to change camera modes so you can take digital stills or switch to playback u/w. The newer HDV cameras have 3-4MP sensors so still photo quality is good(not great). I've used the playback feature on my housing to make sure that I captured the footage I thought I had.

Also consider expandability and flexibility. Every housing has it's good and bad points, here are my comments:

The OI Dolphin has an add-on monitor. Either internal or top mounted.

USVH includes an add-on internal monitor in their base price.

The TopDawg has a limited view through the back port so they sell a replacement back that contains a monitor.

The Amphibico has a monitor only back which is nice until it fails. I have an early Amphibico with a back viewport, it also has the capability to add one of two external top monitors. Including an HD model that's more than the housing.

On the mechanical side, there are no add-on monitor options for Ikelite. And their viewports are limited as PF mentioned. An option they have for some of their better housings is a stick on side mirror. Which allows you to open and invert the LCD screen so it can be viewed. However panning is now backward so they add circuitry to fix that. But only in certain HDV models that they sell.

Not sure what Equinox sells currently, I don't think I've ever seen one with an external monitor.

Gates has several external top mount monitors. I think their HC-series housing also is wide enough to open and view the monitor from the back.

Another consideration for filming is removable ports. O/I has a $200 upgrade for this, I think Ikelite has wet lenses you add on (not sure on this). Amphibico, L&M and Gates all have interchangeable ports but you pay for the privilege.

I shot in Bonaire two years ago. If it's sunny (usually) the light is good to 80-90' or more in some areas. A great deal of the life is in the 40'-60' range.

So lights aren't necessary, all that is required is a red filter which compensates for the loss of red at depth. You use the filter from about 15' to below 80'. At least on Bonaire. Below that it's best to remove it as lack of light and not color is now the problem. Most housings have an external one. At least make sure it's removable u/w.

hth or at least doesn't confuse things further,

DiverKKC:
Can anyone here recommend a reasonably priced camcorder/housing/(+ or-)lights setup for someone just starting out?

OUCH! Here's something else to consider. I just got back from my local camera store... When I received my Amphibico housing and 10W Discovery HID light...it did not come with batteries. The light requires 2 NPF550-570 SONY rechargeable batteries. So add another $150-200 on top for batteries. Then of course you'll want a couple backup batteries...and a charger...and a second job...

Back
Top Bottom