Where to begin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, after taking many trips' worth of digital pics and even some videos with my uwater camera, I'm trying to decide if I should really jump off the cliff and get an underwater video setup. I've done only a couple of google searches, thought I'd see what the seasoned pros have to say...
What is a good entry level camera choice for both topside and underwater video? Is it a good idea to use the digital memory cards or tapes? Of course I want everything in my first purchase so is there such a thing as an entry level video recorder that will allow for growth as an underwater videographer (very amateur though!)? What estimated cost would it take to get into this new world?
Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Well, after taking many trips' worth of digital pics and even some videos with my uwater camera, I'm trying to decide if I should really jump off the cliff and get an underwater video setup. I've done only a couple of google searches, thought I'd see what the seasoned pros have to say...
What is a good entry level camera choice for both topside and underwater video? Is it a good idea to use the digital memory cards or tapes? Of course I want everything in my first purchase so is there such a thing as an entry level video recorder that will allow for growth as an underwater videographer (very amateur though!)? What estimated cost would it take to get into this new world?
Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Hi, reading your post took me back in time when I had the same decision to make, but this was back in 2000, at that time there where not many choices. Those days one can go miniDV what was pro or digi8 what was for the rest of us. Today you have a plethora of choices, you can go SD miniDV, HD miniDV, HDD, or mini DVD.
In my opinion you'll have to stick with HD miniDV camcorders like Sony hc7 or canon hv20 in the consumer level or entry level. But if you have the Dow you can go pro .
regarding the housing I would go for a electronic control or LANC this will limit you to Sony camcorders only what is not a bad think IMHO.
Good lock

What is a good entry level camera choice for both topside and underwater video?
Rather than re-posting again I'll just link to two recent posts I've made on this very subject. Different requirements but the basics are the same.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3210579-post5.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3203349-post3.html
Is it a good idea to use the digital memory cards or tapes?
I'm very mixed about this now. A year ago I would've said HDV tape. Now with the proliferation of HDD camcorders, I think I'm leaning in that direction. I feel solid-state media still has a way to go to be affordable, the compression ratios required to store a reasonable amount of footage on a chip are still too severe. Most are using AVCHD compression which is a pretty new format. It's typically more compressed than HDV so of slightly lower quality.

But solid-state is the future, look at the RED One or the Sony XDCam EX in the professional space. Gates is housing the RED soon since they get it.

I just don't think in the pro-sumer market it's there yet. As an example, look at the new Sony HDR-CX7. At the highest quality, it stores 30mins. per 4GB Memory Duo card - at $80 (list) apiece. For $2.00 I can get 60mins. on a tape. And I can carry a lot of tapes instead of my laptop - once the Memory Duo card is filled, you've got to dump it somewhere.
What estimated cost would it take to get into this new world?
For a basic MiniDV setup - new around $12-1300. HDV starts about $1500 and goes to well over $10K.

Sometimes there's some good deals on eBay, other times it's just old 8MM junk. Bidders regularly overpay there since they don't know the difference.

Note: There are similar options with Canon, Panasonic, JVC and other HDV camcorders also, I mostly post about Sony since that's what I have/know.

As far as what type of media to choose I say stick with miniDV. An HDD camera like the HVX200 (a real pro-sumer camera) is $6k and then you have to deal with buying the P2 cards.

You can record hdv, not HD, on a miniDV tape but it's a flawed compression, mpeg-2. I stick with SD footage because with my 3-chip camera it looks amazing(only topside so far). the pro-sumer market is there and has been for the past few years, just what Steve thinks is pro-sumer is really high-end consumer. No offense Steve it's just what it is.

Here is Sony's late attempt at the solid state pro-sumer market. I haven't seen this camera yet but I imagine that by backing it with the CineAlta name it will compete with the HVX. I'm sure you'll see housings popping out everywhere for this camera soon.

Best of luck!

Billy

Thank you all, there are terms in this thread I don't understand BUT! I now have keywords to google and research which is what I wanted (and expected). I'll investigate the cameras and options, thanks again!

just what Steve thinks is pro-sumer is really high-end consumer. No offense Steve it's just what it is.
No offfense taken Billy. The line is blurring more every day...but I'll concede your point in the context of what I posted. Where do you place the FX7/V1U?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom