Let's Get Together to Use Public Access to Educate the Public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been having an exchange with John Williams (stillhope here on SB) of SEA-Inside: Pacific Northwest about our respective efforts to use public access channels on local cable networks to educate the public (and other divers) about the underwater world, its residents, their ecology and the environmental issues we face there. John has a series of episodes covering the life of the Pacific Northwest and I have been running a local show (now also on Charter Communications in the Riverside/Norco area) featuring the highlights of what I've seen on my recent dives.

I posted a year or so ago about the idea of divers working cooperatively in their region to produce such shows on local public access, and to work cooperative across regions to expand the distribution of their shows across the States. I don't remember getting much feedback on it, but the communication with John has revived my interest in this.

About 10 months ago I wrote an article on this subject (Using public access to educate the general public about the marine world which, despite being in their backyards, they rarely see firsthand) intended for publication in SCUBA Diving magazine. Due to format changes and other issues (including the need to rewrite it), it has yet to be published (but hopefully will be).

I'm wondering if there are others out there who do similar things... collaborating with other divers in their area to produce public access shows directed at the general public? Imagine a network of such groups across the States (dare I say it, across the World... or even Universe?) working with mutual assistance not only to produce the regional shows locally, but to distribute the entire range of offerings as a package to cable networks all over the States/World/Universe.

When I began my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" cable TV show in 2001, the original intent was to reach the non-diving public since they seldom have opportunities to experience the underwater world first-hand. This audience is critical as far as education goes since we need a broader base to effect the political changes necessary to protect and restore these environments. Of course I've seen a lot of divers who are anxious to learn more about what they are observing to enhance the experience of their dives.

There was a report on The Today Show this morning about how fewer and fewer people are getting outside to enjoy the natural environment. I predicted this decades ago as we were evolving into a largely urbanized population, separated from the natural world. With modern technology the natural world has become even more abstract, and people are now "experiencing" it based on television shows (not to mention video games).

I'd love to hear of other efforts already underway or planned. Based on our communications today, I'm sure John is equally interested. There must be more of "us" out there who see the benefit in such an approach to educating others about our marine environments.

Of course you won't get rich by developing public access content. Believe me, I know! However it is a great experience for those of us who love the ocean and want to share our experiences of it with others.

I'd like to second what Dr. Bill said. If you're already doing or thinking along these lines, let's share stories, dreams, etc. If you have been thinking that more people ought to be able to see what's below the surface of the waters but don't know how to make it happen, let's talk about it. Even if you're not a videographer!

It takes a lot of different skills to produce a TV show, to get it on the air, and to let people know about it so they can watch it. As Dr. Bill and I and countless others have shown, a single person can do it. But a group of people working together can do it better, and in more places, and with richer diversity.

The graphic artist who designs the web site or poster, the accountant who keeps track of the numbers, the musician who creates the movie's score, the fundraiser who helps keep the machine fed -- these are just a few of the types of people whose skills can help realize this goal of bringing the underwater world to the general public. Also important are underwater photographers, sculptors, artists, lawyers, writers, managers, charter operators, sandwich makers, and countless other types.

OK, so you care about the oceans, but think someone else [the government maybe?] will take care of any problems? Think again.

"If we are to succeed in implementing a new national ocean policy to restore and maintain ocean ecosystems, we will need more than new laws and institutions. We must build a national constituency for the oceans that includes all Americans, whether we live along the coast or in the Rocky Mountains. We must prepare today's children to be tomorrow's ocean stewards."
--Pew Oceans Commission, 2003, "Recommendations for a New Ocean Policy"

That's a tall order, and it has been echoed by numerous other bodies. Here's what a Washington panel concluded that really applies everywhere,

"the majority of residents are not greatly aware of the problems facing the Puget Sound region...Increased public awareness of Puget Sound conditions is essential to support the personal and public policy actions needed to restore the Sound's health."
--Puget Sound Partnership, 2006, "Sound Health, Sound Future"

Grass-roots educational efforts will play a huge part in this, and there's a role here for all of us to play. Who wants to play?

Great additions to the concept, John!

Fund raisers would be very, very welcome!

I think this is a wonderful idea, but I don't see where I have any skills that would particularly useful. I can dive and I can write. I am a lousy people person, so fundraising or PR are out, and I have no significant photographic or computer skills. Still, if you can think of anything useful I can do, I'd love to help.

That's a great idea. I love going diving them being able to show my friends my pictures and tell stories about diving. Hopefully when I get done with college I'll be able to afford the camcorder I want to be able to contribute some videos.

Lynne and Birdman77, can you rob banks?

Seriously, this could be a wonderful way to provide some meaningful educational programming for a lot of the regional cable networks. There are lots of videographers (and still photographers) whose work could be combined to produce some really nice stuff!

My Dive Highlights show is not much more than the best or most educational footage from a series of dives combined with some narration. I'm always pleased to hear the number of non-divers who watch and enjoy the show.

Another venue for education (for those who are writers) is to author a weekly column in your local paper. My "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper column (270 columns archived on my web site as examples) have a much wider readership than just divers. In fact many divers don't read it because they think they know it all... like the guys who almost attacked me because I chased a "big shark" towards them in the dive park. It was a giant sea bass!

Or work together to put together videos for talks to schools, or DVD's for schools to use in their biology/marine biology classes.

Excellent ideas.

Another idea about writing:
From viewing internet sites that rank videos by popularity, I can see that what's popular isn't related to video quality or redeeming social value, all it needs is a good punchline or to successfully appeal to the emotions or adrenal glands. My technical style of writing does none of those things, so my videos would all benefit from the help of a writer who knows how to tell a compelling story.

More thoughts about other possible tasks/skills needed:

--sponsor some of the videos from this "consortium" we're dreaming up on your local public access station -- takes no special skills, just call your local station and inquire about the procedure. Most of them are mandated to show what their community submit. It they're already on your local station, call up and tell them you like them. Tell your friends. Write a letter to the editor about it.

--help organize a community presentation event for those who don't have cable or want to see some of these videos on a big screen and/or want question/answer/discussion with real people

--report to this group a story about something related to underwater that is important but being ignored by the mainstream media. Maybe someone here can cover it. For example, I just finished a video about a "diveathon" -- a 24 hour underwater relay that was a fund-raiser for children's cancer research. It was held at a popular shoreline site, so it also helped educate passers-by about what's down there. I filmed some divers underwater and some of what they saw and interviewed some of the organizers. 1 day filming, 1 week editing. No funding for this, but I felt it was a story that needed to be told. There are innumerable stories about ocean research, about the critters, etc. that can be told by a simple production crew but are being ignored because they won't attract advertisers.

--throw a house party to raise funds for these efforts

--recruit someone else who is wants to help bring the beauty, the magic, the mystery of the underwater world to the general public. I think there are lots of those people out there judging from the number of volunteers at the Seattle Aquarium, volunteers leading beach walks, etc. We just need to find ones who want to help create and distribute and promote videos.

--AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL -- help these ideas take shape and become some sort of cooperative effort. Dr. Bill & I just started tossing ideas around, but it will take some people with organizational skills (& time) to pull together volunteers, concepts, goals, and all that into a collective effort that will actually get something done.

One thing that I think gets missed in presentations is how regular people (like me) can be involved in activities like this. It seems that if it's not "extreme", media wants nothing to do with it. Yet I bet every one of us in California that watches PBS even occassionally has gone someplace or done something because of Huell Howser. It doesn't get any less extreme than that. Dr. Bill can be the underwater Huell, and show regular divers at regular places. People need to feel like they can do something to get their interest, and once interested may get involved on a take action level. There is/was a show on the Water Channel called Diver Down that did this, but was primarily east coast based. Just a thought.

You can produce and show just about anything on Public Access channels. Not to be confused with PBS. Most communities have a Public Access channel available on the cable system. (As a result of the franchise agreements with the local city/municipality)

Even Dr.Bill could contact local SoCal Public Access stations and get his show run. The problem is most people don’t watch it or how to submit program materials. Here is a link to get started.

Community Television Links

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom