Bonica Snapper HDDV Poor Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my Bonica HDDV camera and housing, and tried a few videos on land. The motion looks jerky, and I can see blurring. I wonder why this is happening when, with a frame rate of 30 fps, it should be OK. This is, BTW, with the camera on a tripod.

I am thinking about returning the whole package.

Any comments appreciated.

Rick Colman

There's a reason most of us have 2-10x that in our rigs. You may've just seen it...

The motion might get better with a faster card, the blurring probably never will. I played with one in a store for about 2 mins. before putting it down. And it probably only gets worse underwater with less light available.

Hi Steve,

I am interested in the Bonica HDDV camcorder but have seen some negative comments about it.

I have seen some videos supposedly shot with that camera and they were pretty decent and I'm not enough of a photo expert to complain about what I saw.

Can you recommend another dedicated underwater camcorder or a camcorder which uses a separate housing?

Thanks,

Sy

There's a reason most of us have 2-10x that in our rigs. You may've just seen it...

The motion might get better with a faster card, the blurring probably never will. I played with one in a store for about 2 mins. before putting it down. And it probably only gets worse underwater with less light available.

Most posts I've seen about the Bonica or the Sanyo Xacti with the Epoque housing, are from people who are returning them. Several were from people who flooded an Epoque housing at depth. The waterproof "skin" isn't going to save the camera under pressure. A couple others mentioned poor video quality also.

Some recent threads where we've batted around options for a conventional housed video system:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254583-questions-non-videographer.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254704-newbie-finally-chasing-dream.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254746-first-camcorder-input-please.html

Post what you want to do with the system, where you plan to use it (sunny Caribbean, local NJ waters, etc), budget, and someone can likely make more specific recommendations. Looking to shoot/edit/output in HD(V)? Something you can carry-on also?

My needs are not at all technical perfection but I would like to be able to take decent moving pictures at say 75 foor depths when I go diving in Cozumel, Bonaire or the like and not have to be concerned that my camera will flood. I have no interest in editing or such. I have seen the Sanyo Xacti and have read about problems with the Epoque housing. I believe that there is a better housing available for that camera but isn't available in the USA.

Most posts I've seen about the Bonica or the Sanyo Xacti with the Epoque housing, are from people who are returning them. Several were from people who flooded an Epoque housing at depth. The waterproof "skin" isn't going to save the camera under pressure. A couple others mentioned poor video quality also.

Some recent threads where we've batted around options for a conventional housed video system:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254583-questions-non-videographer.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254704-newbie-finally-chasing-dream.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254746-first-camcorder-input-please.html

Post what you want to do with the system, where you plan to use it (sunny Caribbean, local NJ waters, etc), budget, and someone can likely make more specific recommendations. Looking to shoot/edit/output in HD(V)? Something you can carry-on also?

We have a couple Bonicas we are testing. It is true, there is motion in the camera unless locked off on a tripod. It is really small and compact and easy to use, but so is sea tool's system if you were looking for small. Bonica comes in at a price for the package under 1000 and you can shoot video underwater or in the snow with their condom case for it. Oh my gosh, did I really say that? Yes, because that is what it is like....

Anyhow, for price point, we have a couple of posts we are going to make with it soon. THere is one that Jay shot on my site under learn to dive....

It is the third one down:

diveintoyourimagination.com - Learn to Dive!

That is Bonica...

We will have a few more posted soon.

Hope this helps,

Annie

Sy,

You're always going to have to worry about flooding - goes with the territory. I also suggest the Seatools housings, they're really lightweight. And seem molded around the camera. A little pricey though. Another similar option (same mfr?) is the Zillion line, sold by Aiko Trading - I'd link to the Zillion site but it's in Japanese. Aiko Trading - Zillion Housings

In housings, the more $$ you spend the more redundancy in things like dual o-rings, better sealing methods as well as better optics. The more custom the housing, typically the less ballast weight you'll have to use to offset the bouyancy of the air in the housing. Some of the better metal housings - Amphibico, Gates, Light & Motion are almost neutral in the water without any. The generic camera "tube" models, while less expensive, need more ballast. Some allow you to use diveweights onsite, others (Ikelite) have their own removable weight that you bring along.

Since you're looking for now fuss shooting, I'd go with an electronic housing. Since most put the controls on a handgrip for ease of use. I have one and shoot completely with my right hand. fwiw, I have an Amphibico. Mechanical housings locate their controls near the camera controls so there's more to do while filming.

Since you don't want to mess with editing, you might consider one of the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) cameras - the new ones allow you to capture from 10-40 hours of video depending on what quality setting you use. If you have an HDTV, all the new ones have an HDMI port so you can hook it up directly for HiDef playback.

Of course you'll have to transfer footage to a computer or other storage device once you fill up the camera storage. But you can do in-camera editing/deleting also. If you don't want to do that, tape is an option. Or the removable "flash" media models, but consider the cost of additional media when pricing them.

Sony and Canon both sell a portable DVD burner for around $2-300, used to transfer the contents of your camera directly to DVD. But even the least expensive HDD cameras have 40-60GB drives, at 4.7GB, that's a lot of DVD's...lol. If someone's selling a portable Blu-Ray burner, I haven't seen it yet.

I have seen the Sanyo Xacti and have read about problems with the Epoque housing. I believe that there is a better housing available for that camera but it isn't available in the USA.
It is now. Just posted by Ryan at Reef Photo over on Wetpixel:
We have received inventory of the Patima Xacti Housings for VPC-HD-1000 and VPC-HD-1010. They are in stock at the moment...

Here are links to three videos I shot a week ago in Bonaire with my Snapper HDDV.

Flounder Peacock Flounder In Bonaire on Vimeo

Juvenile Drum Juvenile Drum on Vimeo

Turtle Bonaire Turtle on Vimeo

Just like anything, you get what you pay for. This was my first underwater camera of any kind (and I didn't pay an arm and a leg to buy it). For an entry level camera, I have been generally satisfied with it.

Duke

Not being a photographic expert but having good eyeballs, the images seem quite sharp and definitely acceptable.

The only complaint I would have is that greenish tint in all the videos. Anything one can do about that?

Also, at what depths were these videos taken and what is your opinion of the integrity of the waterproof housing?

Thanks,

Sy

Here are links to three videos I shot a week ago in Bonaire with my Snapper HDDV.

Flounder Peacock Flounder In Bonaire on Vimeo

Juvenile Drum Juvenile Drum on Vimeo

Turtle Bonaire Turtle on Vimeo

Just like anything, you get what you pay for. This was my first underwater camera of any kind (and I didn't pay an arm and a leg to buy it). For an entry level camera, I have been generally satisfied with it.

Duke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom