Canon HF S10 Wow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found a guy on vimeo who got his hands on the S10, and the video is just amazing. I searched E-Bay and the NTSC is available for $1300.00 plus shipping. I couldn't find any test shots from the Sony 520V yet. But this Canon is just crazy!

[vimeo]3533882[/vimeo]

Hey BPF,

I'm not too familiar with camcorders generally. Can you tell me what you see in this clip that really shows off what is impressive about this system?

Thanks!

yes, that is very impressive. :D In that small display format though I don't know how much "better" it is than many other HD camcorders on the market already. I would think it would have to be blown up pretty large to see huge differences.

And I am sure the new Canon and Sony camcorders that came out this month will be showing up at all the stores shortly, you won't have to get one on ebay. The only problem with that is housings may not be available, depending on manufacturer, for a few months.

yes, that is very impressive. :D In that small display format though I don't know how much "better" it is than many other HD camcorders on the market already. I would think it would have to be blown up pretty large to see huge differences.

And I am sure the new Canon and Sony camcorders that came out this month will be showing up at all the stores shortly, you won't have to get one on ebay. The only problem with that is housings may not be available, depending on manufacturer, for a few months.

Yeah, I watched that clip in full res, and no artifacts, when I spoke to the producer, he stated not much post production, he wanted to show the capability of the camera. So it was just a lot of cutting. He usually shoots with a EX-1 and he is completely blown away by his S10. In fact his back up was a Sony HC9, and after getting the S10 he has since sold the HC9. And also finds him using his S10 more then just for a B camera. He actually compares the S10 to the FX7, he said you have to have a really really good eye to see the difference. And I think where the S10 is going to make hot with underwater people, is the lens size. Its 58mm versus 37mm on the Sony 500V series. Which from my understanding will make it better for low light.

Yeah I am in contact with Gates, waiting to see when they are scheduled to start building housings for the Canon. Thats gotta tell you something about the camera, if Gates decides to build a Canon housing, its got to be something special. They usually stick to Sony. I am waiting on an e-mail back from Pamela on a date. Maybe I can be the first lab rat for there housing. But I have decided I am going with the HF S10. I just want 100% verification from Gates about the housing first before I buy it.

The HF S10 is scheduled for mid April in North America, but have been out in Japan for two weeks. The one ebay suppliers price is cheaper then what the camera will go for over here. And his rating is 99.9% with over 3000 sales. So I am not to worried about that, and I emailed them, it is NTSC version.

As soon as I hear from Gates, will let you know.

B&H is taking pre-orders at $1299. I'd trust them more than some eBay seller, esp. when it comes to warranty. Canon Hfs 10 | B&H Photo Video

The Gates HF S10 housing is expected in July/August. I am very excited to get this camera underwater and test it. I have 2 trips planned for July and August so I really hope to take one down with me.

The Gates HF S10 housing is expected in July/August. I am very excited to get this camera underwater and test it. I have 2 trips planned for July and August so I really hope to take one down with me.

Mike - I will be anxious to hear your appraisal of this camcorder along with the other Canons. :D

Just wanted to let everyone know that the HF S10 and HF s100 will be arriving within the next week. Our Canon rep just called and said they are on their way.

I'm definitely going to get one of these out and give it a test drive.

Update:

Ok ladies and gentleman, here is a vimeo channel I started on the HF-S10 and there is a lot of comparison with the XR-520V. I will let you make your own decisions, but for underwater the Sony maybe an easier choice for newer divers and people new to video. The Sony has better low light over the Canon, but only when the Canon is not in manaul gain. When the Canon is in manual gain at 18dB the Canon is better even in low light then Sony. But this is something you would have to set prior to placing in a housing, unless the housing allows for full control.

But here check out my HF-S10 channel and see for yourself!

Back
Top Bottom