Latest Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can you guys check this out and let me know what you think. I made this entire movie with stills and vidoe from a Canon 570is ps camera. I just upgraded to the Canon HF200 camcorder. I am going to have to upgrade my computer. I enjoy the editing and mixing the music. I just want to make sure that the cost of upgrading the computer will be worth it. The movie was made using Corel Video Studio Pro. Please give my pointers and honest opinion. I seem to be getting better with every video. I started with Windows movie maker and moved up from there. Thanks. This site seems to compress the video a great deal. Color is not great.

Scuba Diving Videos 2009: Year of the Wreck teaser Scuba Videos

Editing seems fine, music is always very personal. Main thing I would note is some of the shots are a little jerky. Need to be a little steadier. With the new camera just make sure you use a filter and manual white balance for better color. Of course lights would be a big help.

These guys might make a filter for your current 570

M A G I C - F I L T E R S

Editing seems fine, music is always very personal. Main thing I would note is some of the shots are a little jerky. Need to be a little steadier. With the new camera just make sure you use a filter and manual white balance for better color. Of course lights would be a big help.

These guys might make a filter for your current 570

M A G I C - F I L T E R S

ditto, some of the shots are jerky, you need to work on keeping steady. Also, the whole video is blue, get a red filter if your housing didn't come with one. Lights are great for closeup shots but nothing more than 5-8' away, that is when you need to red filter.
It all comes with practice, so keep diving and keep shooting. :D

I plan on getting an ultralight arm and tray with a Inon or Ikelight W/A lens and a Fisheye 500 lumen light for the new rig. When you are using the red filter, you only use that when you are not using the light. Then when you use the light you remove the filter? Is this correct? Would it be possible to use a filter directly on the camera, not on the housing? Thanks for the replies.

the red filter is used when you are at a depth between 15' and about 90'. After that it is so dark that the red filter is more of a hinderance in focusing and quality. Above 15' everything will be pink. You need to be able to take the filter on and off underwater for those reasons.

I wouldn't worry about getting lights yet. You can do great video without them as long as you have the red filter. Most important thing is to work on your video skills themselves and enjoy diving with your rig. Then worry about adding lights.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

Can you guys check this out and let me know what you think. I made this entire movie with stills and vidoe from a Canon 570is ps camera. I just upgraded to the Canon HF200 camcorder. I am going to have to upgrade my computer. I enjoy the editing and mixing the music. I just want to make sure that the cost of upgrading the computer will be worth it. The movie was made using Corel Video Studio Pro. Please give my pointers and honest opinion. I seem to be getting better with every video. I started with Windows movie maker and moved up from there. Thanks. This site seems to compress the video a great deal. Color is not great.

Scuba Diving Videos 2009: Year of the Wreck teaser Scuba Videos

Good feedback above...so I won't repeat those points. Loved the turtle shot with diver taking pix. Very good.

Advice...re: filters, I don't know about Corel; I use Final Cut for Macs. However, check to see if Corel will allow color correction in post production editing phase. Filters ar great....but like someone said above you can get into those in-between depths where the video will go pink or just reduce light. Second, maybe think of the flow of the shots. If a shot is moving left to right, make sure the next shot compliments that flow ie, don't have a right to left followed by a strong left to right. Think of shots in terms of right to left, left to right, following, above shot, below shot etc. Some of the 'jerkiness' can be cuts that don't allow the eye to follow a flow.

Again...just my 2 cents. Have a blast with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom