Gopro 3D with the spider crabs in Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just did a test with The eyeofmine GoPro 3d housing and put together a fairly rough edit. The 3d effect is realy good with a dedicated 3d monitor or setup but is still OK in anaglyph mode except the close objects may give some eye strain due to the limitations of the anaglyph (fake) 3D.

I don't know how to embed with 3d options so you will have to go to youtube to watch it in 3d. :crafty:

The 3d effect is fairly cool IMHO but for some reason the colours are way off underwater between the two GoPros easy to see in side by side mode. When viewing in 3d surprisingly the colurs arent that noticable so its still well worth watching.

Seems like they don't auto sync the white balance in 3d mode like I thought they would or maybe one of my cams has an issue. Ive asked GoPro about it and will see what they say.

Its possible to maybe match them up a little better in post with some colour/white balance tweaking but this was purely for a test at my local test site :D Its a fairly good example showing the raw footage. I did this edit the nite after the dive and just uploaded it to test youtube 3d in private but some others wanted a look so I ended up making it public.

All underwater shots were filmed in R3 720p60 and all handheld, the out of water shots were filmed in 1080p then converted to 720p30 side by side for youtube.

Maximum depth is only 5.7m

I would like to know what people think of this good or bad, as I thought it turned out pretty cool but there seems to be a few views but no comments.

Length is a bit long as I found it hard to cut down lol, so sorry to the people that hate 15 min videos, I can see a few minutes I could trim but maybe its just that I'm a huge 3d fan and I didn't get bored watching it back.

Don't let the colour issue turn you off from viewing as in 3d modes it really isn't noticeable, to be honest I hadn't seen a side by side until I exported to MP4 for youtube as all my editing was done with either shutter glasses or the anaglyphs. If you wouldn't see a side by side shot before seeing it in 3d you would be amazed it can work so well with such a large colour difference.

I think 3d adds quite a lot to underwater videos but I assume the majority of people may not have any way of viewing in 3d, cross eyed non glasses viewing works as good as shutter glasses except you only see a smaller image and not all people are comfortable doing it. This gives a much better picture then anaglyph glasses as the video is viewed in full colour and there is zero ghosting.

I think 3d on land is not that great as most objects are too far away and like in real vision depth perception is best with closer objects, diving at least where I dive visibility is generally 5-10m so everything you see is close enough to get the full effect of 3d.

Well, my kids loved it. I thought it was a neat gimmick, though I would have liked better editing (meaning shorter). Take that on a kelp forest or coral reef dive and I can see some spectacular video with some training.
I didn't really like having the red and blue glasses on, it made the coolness run out very fast for me. Still a neat bit of technology.

Well, my kids loved it. I thought it was a neat gimmick, though I would have liked better editing (meaning shorter). Take that on a kelp forest or coral reef dive and I can see some spectacular video with some training.
I didn't really like having the red and blue glasses on, it made the coolness run out very fast for me. Still a neat bit of technology.

Thanks for the feedback, I do think it was my worst edit aswell and im bad at cutting footage in my best efforts lol. Thats why I called it a rough cut but as its more of a test for the 3d system I wanted to show longer runs in different scenarios in order to show the advantages and limits of the 3d hero system, I thought short clips wont give the viewer long enough to really get the immersion value as it takes a little while for you to focus on the subject in 3d rather then 2d video.

One day I will try and learn to make videos more for the intended audience then just how I prefer them, but I personally prefer a little longer video then the common advertising length tease that many people seem to make.

It can be a good idea to make a couple versions of videos, a short little preview type clip so people can see if they like the subject and haven't wasted too much time if they don't then if they want more then just a little teaser they can watch a more detailed version after.

I found a way to try and fix the colours using the trial nero3D and made a short video with just the puffer fish from this dive.

Here is an extended shot of the small waves in shallow water in slow motion

Here is a colour corrected attempt of just some spider crabs, not perfect but as I couldn't set keyframes for colour I had to settle for something in the middle, still an improvement over original colours I think.

For those that prefer 2D varieties here is the puffer fish in Vimeo HD

[video=vimeo;24415819]http://vimeo.com/24415819[/video]

Here is a 2d version of the shorter spider crab video

[video=vimeo;24424457]http://vimeo.com/24424457[/video]

Last edited:
Watched them on my 55" Samsung 3D TV with glasses - looked great. I just got a gopro (arrives tomorrow) - now I'm debating getting a 2nd and the 3d mount lol

yeah ill be honest after seeing this footage, you solidified me wanting to buy one... I called my wife and had her pick me up one on her way home from work :) hahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom