New LX7 Video Rig with Mike Tripod Idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
First thanks to Mike to be persistent with ULCS

This is the rig it has few differences as I use locline arms for lights and therefore the base adapter need to be 1/4 20 TPI
So it is all as Mike set up but has no 3816 instead 3 1420-2B
I also added an M67 lens holder
In the picture here the configuration in Macro mode with Inon UCL100
Front Macro.jpg
More pictures on my blog here
Panasonic LX7 Video Rig | Interceptor121 Underwater Video

It is a transformer, it's name is Ultimusmacro!

Mike
I have been doing some tests today on land as they would be the same as working with the wetmate in water. With this solution the subject distance is between 4 and 8 inches from the port. It is quite hard to get closer and the position is always from above looking down that is not my favorite but can work with lights
Now between 4 and 7 inches a +6 diopter is ideal, so I tried my Inon UCL165. Interestingly the LX7 itself can get to 70mm equivalent zoom at 7 inches without any lens so the benefit of a close up lens is somewhat limited.
However because of the limited zoom of the LX7 it is not possible to achieve more than 1:1.5 without iZoom. With iZoom it gets to 1.1:1

So the good news is that you can get to real macro with iZoom and a +6 diopter and get good close ups 1:1.8 with the wetmate
The bad news is that with all this gear you almost can't use a +10 diopter as the legs get in the way

I will have a look at how the iZoom effects picture quality maybe this is good enough.

What kind of subjects you think you will be capturing Mike?

Not sure what I will be shooting, anything that I can once I get on another dive trip here at the end of the month to Rangiroa. Let's face it, I've got a big learning curve ahead moving from stills to video, but now at least I've got the chance to produce some higher quality footage using the LX7 since trading up form my Sea&Sea rig, even though my dogs doesn't seem too impressed.
2013-05-10 16.30.01.jpg

I finally got everything to fit in my new carry-on case!
2013-05-10 16.17.56.jpg

I am going to North Sulawesi next Thursday for 12 nights. I will let you know how I get on

---------- Post added May 11th, 2013 at 12:23 PM ----------

OK I have played with it a bit and I think this is too clumsy there are a few issues that make it not worthwhile.

However it was a good journey of discovery as now I have my next rig that I will show some time later today just taking pictures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom