GoPro vs. Panasonic LX7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really like my Gopro Hero 3 Black.

For $400 I get a camera and housing that shoots great video for the price. However, I missed the versatility of a zoom lens and the higher quality video I was used to from my bigger more expensive cameras.

I decided to buy a Panasonic LX7. $330 at B&H for the camera. Cheapest housing is an $550 Ikelite. More than double the price and size, but still reasonable compared to other systems.

In addition to adding a zoom lens, the LX7 has better video quality and low light color. Here is a 20 second topside comparison simulating changing light conditions you might see underwater. Protune off, both set at 1080p 60 fps, auto wb. LX7 and housing cost more than double, so this is not an apples to apples comparison. Purpose is to show an example of video quality of the next level up in camera systems.

[vimeo]65968113[/vimeo]

It is a bit cruel comparison but that is what it is
The gopro has the great merit to take people into the underwater video journey. Some will stick around some will not bother after the initial novelty but overall positive
Still there are good things you can do with a gopro such as POV fixed point shooting off a tripod, water entry scenes, using it on a monopod and throwing it into crevices and sharks etc etc
Some compact cameras like the LX7 offer outstanding video and stills and great controls to the point the results are better than most single chip camcorders and similar to 3 chips

Yeah, I know. A very unscientific, basic clip, but it does show low light capabilities and low light coloring in a way most people can relate to. When I see comparisons using charts it's hard to tell how the differences apply to real life video shooting.

I thought this would be a very short but useful clip for people who are looking for an upgrade over their GoPro or people who have a little more money in their budget. Good to have options.

Last edited:
Actually I don't mind too much the slow transition of the gopro from light to dark of course at the end is still quite dark
On thing that you notice for uw use is how shaky the gopro is compared to a camera with a good optclical stabiliser

So glad I was talked out of a gopro and invested in the LX7!

By the way, your cat's meow is very unique

LOL. Yeah, my cat's meow sounds human.

Video print screen grabs from the dark sections. LX7 auto exposure works well and has very little grain/noise.

gopro.jpglx7.jpg

LOL. Yeah, my cat's meow sounds human.

Video print screen grabs from the dark sections. LX7 auto exposure works well and has very little grain/noise.

View attachment 154627View attachment 154628

There are 2 f/stops between the LX7 and GoPro lens is like saying that the LX7 is four times brighter or that the LX7 needs 1/4 of the light of the GoPro to take the same shot

In low light at 25 meters the LX7 would shoot at f/1.4 Shutter 1/60 ISO200 the GoPro would shoot at f/2.8 Shutter 1/60 ISO800

Moreover the GoPro has a 1/2.5" sensor and the LX7 1/1.7" that is 1.5 larger so it is also less noisy at the same ISO

Your pictures simulate a low light situation and show exactly that, actually I think in water the gap is much bigger, but this is why there is a price difference I guess!

There are 2 f/stops between the LX7 and GoPro lens is like saying that the LX7 is four times brighter or that the LX7 needs 1/4 of the light of the GoPro to take the same shot

In low light at 25 meters the LX7 would shoot at f/1.4 Shutter 1/60 ISO200 the GoPro would shoot at f/2.8 Shutter 1/60 ISO800

Moreover the GoPro has a 1/2.5" sensor and the LX7 1/1.7" that is 1.5 larger so it is also less noisy at the same ISO

Your pictures simulate a low light situation and show exactly that, actually I think in water the gap is much bigger, but this is why there is a price difference I guess!

When I was younger and more technical, the engineer in me would absorb and process all the information you just listed.

Now ? I look at the 2 pictures and say, "Yeah, the one on the right looks a lot better and brighter. I want the camera that shot that. "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom