My best video settings for the Panasonic LX7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you like to let aperture auto adjust, ISO float btw 80-800 and then lock the exposure ? I'll try it, but I think I will try ISO fixed and manually adjust aperture, 1st. Aperture adjustments on the Nauticam are pretty easy. If that is too cumbersome, I'll try your method.

1st things 1st though. My next dives will be with my filter.

So you like to let aperture auto adjust, ISO float btw 80-800 and then lock the exposure ? I'll try it, but I think I will try ISO fixed and manually adjust aperture, 1st. Aperture adjustments on the Nauticam are pretty easy. If that is too cumbersome, I'll try your method.

1st things 1st though. My next dives will be with my filter.

If this was a DSLR I would work with Shutter speed fixed change the aperture and work with autoISO.
However the autoISO is not available in manual so if you Fix the ISO and the Shutter you have to work full manual and also fix the aperture. I have considered that the lens of the LX7 is very sharp even at wide apertures so there is not a lot of value closing down manually. In fact I like the fact that the camera leaves the aperture at the widest before bumping up the ISO as the sensor is small so priority is on low noise.
In some occasions you need to lock exposure what I do is to point the camera at the brightest part of the scene lock and then start so that is like your eye, this is especially true for swim through and caves

I have posted a video with ambient light only and no filter with a bit of grading in this same forum you can have a look at what you get.

With the RX100 a camera with a larger sensor I only shoot program and aperture priority as the camera follows the 180 rules to perfection and I am not concerned about ISO increases as the sensor is larger
The RX100 at ISO800 is as good to the LX7 at ISO400

At the end those are MY best settings not the best settings for everybody

I have considered that the lens of the LX7 is very sharp even at wide apertures so there is not a lot of value closing down manually.

I was thinking locking shutter and ISO then adjusting aperture for exposure purposes. Figure it is quicker to adjust aperture than ISO. But then I am relying on my judgement of exposure using the LCD because I think the on screen exposure meter is not shown in manual mode. Are you locking exposure using the on screen meter or by your eye ?

Update:

Did some tropical diving in Florida over the weekend. The LX7 performed very well. Check my Goliath Grouper thread for video sample.

Here are my settings and observations:

Shutter priority, shutter set at 125
Auto ISO
Manual WB
UrPro Filter at all times.
LED Lights and filter at the same time worked well in some conditions

LX7 with flat port was plenty wide for video and the zoom gave a lot of versatility.

Filter: even though it cuts light and the camera can WB without it, using the filter is a big improvement.

White balance is sensitive. Referencing the sand, my hand, the reef all resulted in noticeable differences. Next trip I will bring a formal white balance grey card.

Video performance and low light capability are very impressive. The Nauticam housing is a dream to use. All camera functions are easy to access and use.

An Ikelite housing would be a nice affordable alternative especially if you don't want or need to make frequent changes to the settings. Ikelite Housing for $550 and LX7 camera for $330, this is the next step up for people wanting something better than the GoPro.

Glad you made progress Ron and your settings look pretty similar to mine except I don't use a filter and I dial -2/3 Ev
The footage looks well balanced
If there is one thing I noticed in your as I did in mine is the fact that blue water can sometimes appear noisy the way I resolve this is to push the blacks up in editing
Very nice job indeed

Back
Top Bottom