Best underwater video camera under $5000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardiver1

Registered
Reaction score
What is the best option for filming underwater for under $5000 (camera and housing)? This is for filming freediving spearfishing down to 90ft (30m) max, so I don't think lights are necessary. Nor is micro. Can be a camera or camcorder, whichever is better. Already have a Gopro HERO3+ black edition.

What is the best option for filming underwater for under $5000 (camera and housing)? This is for filming freediving spearfishing down to 90ft (30m) max, so I don't think lights are necessary. Nor is micro. Can be a camera or camcorder, whichever is better. Already have a Gopro HERO3+ black edition.

I've just gone for

1x Panasonic GH3
1x Panasonic 12-35mm lens
1x Nauticam Housing

One of the best semipro video rigs you can get. High bitrates (50+Mbps) for clean images up to 1080p60.

$2105 for camera and lens
$2250 for Nauticam housing.

For got to say - you will also need a dome for the 12-35mm too $500

Last edited:
Also you might look at a Light & Motion Bluefin housing and a Canon Legria cam. or a Gates house. Of course with any cam you'd also need a light if you want to make movies deeper than 30 ft.
These both are pretty good housings and the Canon Legria is one of the best.
Don't know the prices over there, but I expect them to be in the same range as the Nauticam.

Is the op filming free divers whilst on scuba or is actually free diving and filming?

I would think in the first case it's a normal set up in the second you need a camera with little drag that can take a filter and work in auto white balance

I would not go too far from a go pro or a compact camera to avoid drag

TheTrickster: Are you moving from Oly to Panasonic?

Yes (sadly) Only reason.... Video Quality.

Sold most of my E-PL3 gear and I've gone Nauticam / GH3.

1470526_10151819964122727_1302588862_n.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will be freediving and filming.

This video was shot with a Canon EOS 5D mark III and Aquatica housing. Any thoughts about this set up? How about the Canon 70D with the new auto focus technology?

Exhale on Vimeo

Not for under $5K. The 5DMKIII Nauticam housing is $3600 and the camera is $2900 without a lens. Any lens you buy will be $400-$2000+ additionally.

Then there's all those wickedly expensive ports, gears, adapters etc. Dome ports are $500-$2000 or more.

Maybe if you go with the Ikelite housing as they're $1600. Add at least $150 more for a flat port - more for other ports for certain lenses.

I've seen some phenomenal results with the 5DMKIII. Many shot with lights. You can almost double your budget again for good quality bright lights/arms etc.

You might find something here: http://www.opticaloceansales.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom