Hammerhead diving in Layang Layang Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger J Munns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's March and Layang Layang is open for business after the typhoon season. Some great wall diving with probably the most reliable hammerhead dive in SE Asia. Unless anyone else knows somewhere better?

[video=youtube;TseFRWRlGbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TseFRWRlGbw[/video]

Holy smokes that is amazing!!!!
Now to query you:
When is typhoon season?
Are there any land based attractions (for non diving persons)
Might slip in a week at layang layang after borneo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAve been there a full week. No Hamerheadshark to be seen. March, some 15 years ago.

Had those very experiences at Sipidan! Often have thought of giving Lyang Lyang a try in hopes of a repeat performance.

Holy smokes that is amazing!!!!
Now to query you:
When is typhoon season?
Are there any land based attractions (for non diving persons)
Might slip in a week at layang layang after borneo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mike. The resort closes from September to March because of rough conditions in the South China Sea. Historically the best time to go is around March-April. The water is a little colder then so the hammerheads are shallower. No land based attractions other than a small island of nesting terns. Hammerheads not guaranteed of course!!

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:34 AM ----------

Had those very experiences at Sipidan! Often have thought of giving Lyang Lyang a try in hopes of a repeat performance.

Yes you can see hammers at Sipadan if you dive it a lot or get lucky.. Layang is more reliable for them but because diving there is focused on trying to find them it can be frustrating if you have bad luck! The reef and reef-life at Layang are not in the same league as Sipadan so there's less to distract from the hammerhead hunt. For me Sipadan is about the schools of fish, turtles and reef sharks. Hammerheads are a bonus!

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

HAve been there a full week. No Hamerheadshark to be seen. March, some 15 years ago.

Ah sorry to hear that. I spent 6 months working there in 2001 and 3 months over the 2002 season and I'd say you've been very unlucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom