Diving in Cocos Island - March 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read reports and water is warm also in galapagos. Is it el ninjo time?

The fact you had no schooling sharks didn't prevent some excellent shots of single specimens I see!

Footage looks good but the image stabiliser looks basic? Were the conditions difficult?

Last edited:
I have read reports and water is warm also in galapagos. Is it el ninjo time?

The fact you had no schooling sharks didn't prevent some excellent shots of single specimens I see!

Footage looks good but the image stabiliser looks basic? Were the conditions difficult?

Thanks. I think it was mainly due to positive buoyancy of my setup. My Tokina 10-17 died during the trip and so I have to use Canon 17-40 which requires a 60mm extension tube. The resulting setup is at least 200g positively buoyant.

Yes, I heard El Niño is on the way but I am not sure if that is the reason for less sharks in Cocos. Water was at 28 degree Celsius, so warm that they didn't bother to find rosy-lipped batfish. Saw several hammerheads coming up from the deep at Alcyone, I think they are still there, just staying in depth.

Back
Top Bottom