Intova Sport HDII Settings and Video of Statia Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selchie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read and benefited from ScubaBoard forums for years but rarely posted. So I thought I would share my recent experience with the Intova Sport HDII video camera. Having taken photos with a dSLR camera for years I decided to travel lighter and give video a try. Searching the internet, I found only a little information on what settings to use. Below are the camera settings, dive conditions and results of my first UW video.

I checked my 1 bag (always required 2 with dSLR) from Newark to St Maarten and then St Eustatius (Statia) and a week of diving. Wanting to keep things simple, I used default settings except as noted.

Mount: Sport HD base tray (single handle)
microSD Card: Sandisk Ultra 32 GB
Resolution: 1080p 30fps (default)
AF Mode: Average instead of default Center
Mute: Yes (no audio) - no one wants to listed to me breathe
Scene Mode: Auto (default), except first dive I used "Diving" mode - after reviewing video from first dive I thought they were too red with both in-camera and external red filters. See first 2 UW clips of angelfish and stingray.
Red Filter: Used all but part of 1 dive. I did try some close up shots with a light (no red filter), but in most cases the red filter worked as well or better (close, but not macro).
Dive Conditions: mostly sunny, mostly 60 ft. Last few video clips (spotted file fish and barracuda) about 40 ft.
Post Processing: iMovie - I made no edits except clipping videos. As this was also my first time using iMovie, I didn't attempt modifying transitions or add music.

I hope this info is useful for others and also hope others will share their experience with various settings. Video link below.

Statia Diving - May 2014 on Vimeo

Nice video, thanks for the information. I recently picked up the same camera and was wondering about the performance of the electronic red filter compared to a manual red filter.

I think I'll be using a manual red filter.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the great video. While checking out the different modes today in the pool I think that having it on quality Fine, Image effect set to art, scean mode set to auto, flicker 60Hz, Contrast standard, Sharpness standard, ISO 0 and white balance Auto created better results.

Thanks for the very helpful thread. I'll be a new undersea photog on a November trip to Cozumel, and I just got the Sport HDII. After messing with the myriad of setting combinations around the house I appreciate the "road maps" suggested above to start with when I plunge. I did not look forward to endlessly scrolling thru menu options at 60 feet.

Thanks for the very helpful thread. I'll be a new undersea photog on a November trip to Cozumel, and I just got the Sport HDII. After messing with the myriad of setting combinations around the house I appreciate the "road maps" suggested above to start with when I plunge. I did not look forward to endlessly scrolling thru menu options at 60 feet.

Wow that seemed like a long time ago. You might want to check out the following:

Quality...I use 1080 but that is on your choice (well aren't all the features..HaHa)

Motion Detector: Off

Video duration: "Any duration"...that is what it is called.

Loop video: Off...I don't know what that even does and have yet to play with it.

Upside Down: Off

Mute: Yes...unless you want to hear Vader breathing sounds, No...if you want to record whale song.

ISO: Auto...sorry for the mistake but you cannot set it to 0.

Exposure Valve: I have it at "0" but will gladly welcome others to guide me / us on this feature.

AF Mode: Average...again I will gladly welcome others to guide us on this feature.

I hope that this helps.

Second dive trip using Intova Sport HDII was Nov/Dec 2014 to Grand Turk (short trip report in travel section). Setting used were same as posted previously, but I made a couple of observations. Link below.
1 - HOLD CAMERA WITH BOTH HANDS. The camera is so small it's very tempting to hold with one hand. A few of my initial video clips from this trip were so shaky you would get seasick watching them.
2 - REMOVE & REPLACE RED FILTER UNDERWATER to remove trapped air. Had some really nice clips with blurry lines/arcs due to air pocket. Same would apply to macro lens.

Next trip planned for March 2015, good opportunity to try the macro lens I'll be getting for Christmas.

2014 Grand Turk on Vimeo

Nice vids. I agree that the external red filter is the way to go. I also have the neutral filter that helps battle some over exposure it would do when on a sandy beach. I like the protection of the neutral filter but hate the added bulk.

FWIW, I've just picked up some items on Amazon to use the camera for other things such as a USA gear headstrap and the mini camera suction mount. I got the head strap for an upcoming ski trip, but I'm thinking this camera is going to be a little too bulky. The USA gear strap seems to work surprisingly well in holding the camera in place though. The suction cup is really small and is $5...and works really well. I mounted it on the glass to record my adult league hockey game.

I got the Intova Sport HD II for Christmas and haven't had a chance to test it underwater yet. I wanted a red filter but the only ones I found either said they were for the Sport HD I or they had threads. I assume I should have ordered the one that said it was for the HD I but I am not 100% sure. Also, does anyone have a link to the marco lens that they use with this camera? Is this it: Amazon.com : Intova 52mm Slip-On Macro / Close Up Lens for Sport HD : Camera Lens Caps : Camera & Photo? Thanks much.

Back
Top Bottom