Upgrading from Gopro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im interested in knowing what would be a good next step in getting significantly better underwater video as ive been using my go pro for about 2 years know and feel that im getting a little aggravated with some of the cameras limitations and would like to upgrade to a better camera.

im would like to know what are my options when it comes to stepping into the "semi pro to pro" range in video equipment. Some of the reasons i would like to be able to do is have. longer recording time, better low light capabilities, possibility of shooting macro, stabler platform, also being able to see what im shooting would be nice. i know i can use a lcd back pack for the gopro but the thing just kills the batteries.

i know that im getting into some pretty pricey stuff tho i just want to know what are my options

Subscribed...interested in hearing some answers too.

I still am enjoying my gopro, looking fwd to the 4... I understand it's limits but since it's so small and easy to freedive with or simply mount it on top of my m4/3 housing.

However, I completely understand outgrowing a camera... It happens!

I'm getting the impression you are leaning toward the amateur end of the good camera range. So I would suggest a good compact still camera like the rx100 line or an m4/3 set up from Panasonic or Olympus that allows you to change lenses. Maybe a gh4 or find a deal on a gh3?

A dedicated video camera might be out of your price range... Like a Black magic pocket cinema camera?

again, I don't own or use one... But I have seen excellent videos from the rx100. I would suggest you start there.

rx100 or LX7 are going to be perfect choices.

I went through this a year or so ago. Ended up with LX7, stabilizer, manual white balance, zoom, macro and on and on....

It's my understanding both of these our outstanding with the RX100 beating out the LX7 as a still photography platform and the LX7 beating out the RX100 as a video platform, but we are splitting hairs at this point.

I considered the gopro as a good device to 'document' diving, and the LX7 or the RX100 as a camera to make videos

My choice for video was a Canon camcorder, one of the models which Canon makes housings for. They're hard to find but relatively inexpensive, partly due to the fact that they're discontinued and can only be had used. I ended up with a Vixia HF M31 plus matching housing (WP-V2).

Im interested in knowing what would be a good next step in getting significantly better underwater video as ive been using my go pro for about 2 years know and feel that im getting a little aggravated with some of the cameras limitations and would like to upgrade to a better camera.

im would like to know what are my options when it comes to stepping into the "semi pro to pro" range in video equipment. Some of the reasons i would like to be able to do is have. longer recording time, better low light capabilities, possibility of shooting macro, stabler platform, also being able to see what im shooting would be nice. i know i can use a lcd back pack for the gopro but the thing just kills the batteries.

i've been playing with a gopro for a similar amount of time and share some of your frustrations. as i'm sure you've worked out for yourself, gopro cameras seem to take a lot of flak on diving forums, because people compare the shaky footage from head-mounted gopros with proper video setups. if you compare like-with-like, a gopro combined with a base tray system, lights and filters/lens can produce some very good underwater footage for a relatively small amount of money.

as for battery life, i can get 60 minutes out of one battery with the LCD if i'm careful to turn it off in between filming. this matches the burn time on my video lights, so isn't the end of the world. i can get two dives out of it.

something i've considered is the hugyfot gopro housing which incorporates a battery that will give 6 hours of recording time. it's a lot of money, but much less than buying an underwater video setup.

having said all that, i'm not so dedicated to the gopro that i don't think a proper underwater video setup would be better. also, i've just bought an olympus m4/3 camera for stills. if it turns out to produce good video as well, then my gopro will be retired from diving.

my friend at lake hickory scuba uses the intova camera it is similar to a go pro in size but the video quality is better you can video and take still pictures with out distortion

I upgraded to a Panasonic LX7 setup after my GoPro. It was definitely a step-up but a much larger investment too. The RX100 or RX100 II is also a good option. The LX7 has just been discontinued I believe due to the LX8 release just around the corner. If your interested in 4k video the LX8 would be a good pick.

I too went from a Gopro to an LX7. Compact cameras like it or the RX100 are awesome entry level video platforms for not that much more than a GoPro and address all of the limitations already mentioned. The biggest investment (compared to a gopro) is the housing at around a grand. Nauticam LX7 housing + $4-500 worth of wet lenses will cover almost everything from macro to wide angle without breaking the bank, the cameras are only $300 now. Mirrorless 4/3 are a step up again but at 2-3x the price or more along with other newer, more expensive offerings, LX8 looks interesting enough to hold out for. I watch my 1080P60 LX7 vids on a well set up 120" projection screen and honestly I would never bother upgrading just to get 4K as it looks incredible.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/panasonic-planet/475961-panasonic-lx7.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom