Should I buy a: Cannon T3i housing or Gopro with Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic081

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the Title says, Im debating on buying a underwater housing case for my Cannon T3i on Ebay (400 usd) or buying a Gopro 3 with housing and all the bells and whistles (450 usd).

Im not a serious photographer at all. I just want to document my honeymoon in bali. The housing on Ebay is probably not the most quality thing in the world and I think ill need some lighting for it. Will it take better pictures/video than the Gopro?

thanks
Ross

I don't own a Canon T3i but have owned a GoPro. The Canon DSLR is a superior camera and sensor. The GoPro is has a much smaller sensor thus not on the same level IQ wise.

Canon pros:
Excellent photo IQ
Better low light capabilities
Better video IQ
More options to adapt to different scenes
Zoom

Canon cons:
Large and heavy
Can require an assortment of lenses
Limited to lens on camera once in housing UW
Quality housing can be very expensive

GoPro pros:
Compact and light
Simple operation
Good wide angle FOV
Above average video IQ with sufficient light

GoPro cons:
Poor photo IQ
Subpar low-light video IQ (lots of image noise at high ISO)
Not so good battery life
No zoom
Fixed focus
Lack of advanced camera features

If you looking for good topside photo performance and variable zoom (FOV) the GoPro probably won't perform to your liking. The GoPro has limited capability but as a light, simple and compact UW video tool for wide angle video in decent ambient light, it can be quite a pleasure to work with and provide great results.

The DSLR can do just about everything the GoPro can and better but at a cost. Bulkier setup UW and the need to understand and fiddle with the camera functions to ensure proper IQ.

Unless your really hard up on UW photos, I'd stick with the Canon topside for photos and video, and settle with a GoPro for easy UW video minus the UW photo.

IF you DO want UW pics, get a decent housing for the Canon and a strobe, that is a must but get ready to pay more.

Good luck

why not just rent a GoPro, most dive shops have them, way cheaper since you say you just want it for one trip

....or buying a Gopro 3 with housing and all the bells and whistles (450 usd).
Which GoPro 3 (there are three models to choose from) and what bells and whistles are included? Have you factored in the cost of the microSD cards they require? Extra batteries? Desiccant strips to keep the camera from fogging? Color filters and filter mount? How will you be mounting the camera for dives? Do you have a camera tether?.....

Another advantage for gopro....good for selfies, which seems to be what everyone wants to do because they think it will come out looking like this

[video=youtube_share;ucivXRBrP_0]http://youtu.be/ucivXRBrP_0?t=40s[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom