Panasonic GH4 or Sony FDR-AX100 for 4k video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Another, less expensive option, is the upcoming Panasonic LX8 ( Panasonic LX8 « NEW CAMERA ). They should be making the announcement very soon. It comes equipped with a 1-inch sensor and 4k video. It will should produce very good video. You can sample what the 4K capabilities of the sensor might be like from these FZ1000 (same sensor) 4K video clips (towards the bottom of the page).

Panasonic FZ1000 sample gallery images: Big zoom captures big boom

I downloaded the sample clips and played them on my PC to get a better representation of the quality. There are other video samples on YouTube as well.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is where are you going to play those? Do you have a 4K tv set to enjoy the videos?
4K videos require around 35 mbits on youtube and a small minority of the public has that let alone the editing requirements

The new panasonic compact with 4K should come up in September apparently has a micro 4:3 sensor though previously it was said to have the Sony Bionz X sensor

Also consider that you can now connect a Ninja2 recorder to the Sony RX100 that does not give you 4K but it does allow for 220 mbps PRORES

I never had a lot of interest in 4K video since I have no 4K displays. I probably will at some point but there appear to be a couple of other reasons recording in 4K may be useful. First is the flexibility to selectively crop or "zoom" 1080p size areas of 4K video and retain IQ at 1080p output. Secondly, many say that re-sampling 4K video to 1080p output results in improved detail or sharpness. Maybe a result of the higher bit-rate.

The new panasonic compact with 4K should come up in September apparently has a micro 4:3 sensor though previously it was said to have the Sony Bionz X sensor

I've heard the same rumors. No one seems to be sure if Panasonic is using Sony's sensor or not.

Also consider that you can now connect a Ninja2 recorder to the Sony RX100 that does not give you 4K but it does allow for 220 mbps PRORES

That's a nifty little gadget. Pricey as hell though.

gearbow,
you might want to try posting this question over on Wetpixel too, where everyone seems quite excited about the GH4. Personally, I think you'll probably get really good images from either of these quite expensive systems, but they're actually quite different. The GH4 gives you a wide choice of codecs including very high bitrate intra-codecs which will mean that footage will be better quality and will also withstand grading better than a lower bitrate codec. You can also shoot 4x slo mo with the GH4, and you have much more control generally over things such as aperture. However, the Aditech/AX 100 system has the significant advantage that virtually all of the controls are electronic (= only one housing penetration, for the focus ring). I still miss my old SD LANC-controlled PDX 10. If you do go down the Aditech route, I'd advise to you press them on how good the manual white balance function really is in practice. Do they have any footage they can show you from 20m for example?
Cheers,
Matt

I am also waiting for samples of AX100 underwater, it seems to have much better resolution than GH4 but I am aware of its 8bit 420 codec, it is likely that its footage are not very gradable so I have to make sure that it can MWB nicely at depth.

There will be quite a lot of choices for AX100: Recsea, Gates, Sealux, Mangrove. Keeping an eye on Sealux and Gates as I like the idea of flip in filter.

The GH4 best lenses are not stabilised. The Sony camcorder most likely has an excellent stabiliser. I think this is quite important as stabilisation in post will be more aggressive than in camera and you may end up loosing more resolution. On a static frame the GH4 is very sharp but then once you stabilise it it is not that different from other cameras

I do recommend the GH4. it is a great camera. I have upgraded to it, and I have done a bit of homework.

I have also ran the GH2 and GH3.

If you use lumix lens then they have stabilisation. If you use olympus lens then no stabilisation as the oly's have stabilisation onboard. Lumix use lens stabilisation

I use Nauticam housing. Great.

ozdiverdown - YouTube

Oh, I recommend 7-14 for wide angle, and regarding macro you have Leica/Lumix, lumix and Oly options

Have a look at a few videos above. The later videos are either GH3 or GH2. And I think the GH4 is better. Weather has been killing me over here, so I don't have much video compiled with the GH4 yet.

Good Luck

Gates also is shipping their new Sony AX100 housing. Mechanical controls are extremely reliable. Their housings are very well-balanced.

AX100-FR-6x6Wx300dpi.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom