Canon SL1 DSLR and Canon 10-18mm lens video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past couple of years I've been using a Canon T2i and a Pro-Optic 8mm manual fisheye lens for video. I like the wide angle of view (around 170 degrees) at a decent price ($250 or so) of the 8mm, but you can't get footage of smaller things on the same dive unless you bring a second camera down with a longer lens. I just bought the Canon 10-18mm lens which is surprisingly-priced ($300-350) considering it's a "name-brand" lens. I bought it so I can have a wide-angle lens on my Canon SL1 in an Ikelite housing. The SL1 housing only has one dome port available that doesn't accommodate fisheye lenses without vignetting. The 10-18mm is equivalent to a 16mm (full-frame) at it's 10mm end. I missed the wide view of my 8mm fisheye on this dive, but being able to get semi-wide and close-up footage of fish-sized subjects with a single camera was nice. About half the footage in this video was taken at the 10mm end and the rest at 18mm. The lighting was from 2 homemade 50W LED lights. Visibility was around 20'. There were lots of particles in the water and the light levels were much lower than the tropics.
[video=vimeo;101315212]http://www.vimeo.com/101315212[/video]

Hey thanks for posting this video! I am considering this setup and really wanted to see how the 10-18 performed behind the relatively small ikelite dome. Looks great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom