Egypt & Thailand Videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Premo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I began diving two years ago and just recently started with underwater videography. I would like to share my first two videos.

Red Sea with some beautiful hammerheads:

[video=youtube_share;nQ_oqkZlfMU]http://youtu.be/nQ_oqkZlfMU[/video]

Andaman Sea with gentle whalesharks:

[video=youtube_share;FVA463oa3r4]http://youtu.be/FVA463oa3r4[/video]

I know there is still a lot of room for improvement in both the shooting and the editing. I use the Sony RX100 M2 in a Nauticam housing with a Sola Video 2000. Just bought a second video light and improved the buoyancy of my equipment. I hope to get better results from that. Also a macro lens is on my list.

Nice job. I enjoyed your videos, looks like you had a great trip.

You have good subjects and some nice shots in there

Few suggestions:
1. Cut the editing some of the sequences are way too long. More than 10 seconds on a single subject are only justified if it is something wonderful and unusual or you have a behavior
2. Your shots with light are better than those in ambient light. I suggest you invest in a red filter
3. Looks like you are shooting with the flat port and no wide angle lens as the camera at times goes focus hunting. Get yourself a wide angle lens
4. There is some shake at times and a bit too much panning. This is sometimes not avoidable but can be trimmed out if your buoyancy or the conditions don't allow you to be rock steady
5. Did you shoot this at 50p? Looks a bit mechanical at times

You can probably re-edit the two videos and cut them to 4/5 minutes and with some color correction should turn up really good

You have good subjects and some nice shots in there

Few suggestions:
1. Cut the editing some of the sequences are way too long. More than 10 seconds on a single subject are only justified if it is something wonderful and unusual or you have a behavior
2. Your shots with light are better than those in ambient light. I suggest you invest in a red filter
3. Looks like you are shooting with the flat port and no wide angle lens as the camera at times goes focus hunting. Get yourself a wide angle lens
4. There is some shake at times and a bit too much panning. This is sometimes not avoidable but can be trimmed out if your buoyancy or the conditions don't allow you to be rock steady
5. Did you shoot this at 50p? Looks a bit mechanical at times

You can probably re-edit the two videos and cut them to 4/5 minutes and with some color correction should turn up really good

Thanks for the feedback. Any advice is appreciated as I’m still a bloody beginner :)

1. Yes I know some sequences are too long. I was thinking about doing two versions. One you can show to other people which is shorter and only include the best shots and then one version just for myself. Because I know some shots are too long, lots of shaking or not that sharp but I have memories of that dive that I try to keep fresh. Is that something you guys do? 2 versions?

2. I try to shoot with light, just bought a second video light. Sometimes when I see something I get excited and start shooting immediately without turning on the lights with the fear the object gets away. I probably should calm down, take the extra second and turn the lights on. If it swims away immediately it won’t be a good shot anyway. I even have a red filter but I don’t like to screw and unscrew that thing all the time when shoot in ambient light or with lights. Maybe I should look into using it for objects that aren’t that close.

3. Yes I shoot flat. I’m thinking about a wide angle lens (and also a macro). Once I can afford it I get it. It’s on my list :)

4. My rig was quite heavy so I bought a couple stix floating devices. I hope with the improved buoyancy and balance there will be less shaking. Also my own buoyancy should hopefully improve with more experience as well. The problem I have...I don’t want to see object through the camera. I want to see it directly because it is far more majestic. Because of that I sometimes lose the object or I don’t hold the camera steady. I think that will improve over time.

5. I shoot at AVCHD: 1920x1080 / 50p 28 Mbps (PS), do you recommend a different setting? My other options are 1920x1080 / 50i 24 Mbps (FX), 1920x1080 / 50i 24 Mbps (FX), 1920x1080 / 50i 17 Mbps (FH) and MP4 1440x1080 / 25p 12 Mbps. So far I haven’t really dealt with all the settings. That’s something I need improve on as well but everything step by step ;-)

If you have an RX100 Mark I you are already shooting the best setting.
You can probably give a go at another edit. I only do short edits now as I get bored myself with my own videos. It is exciting at the start then one year later you think your own video is too long but you are not bothered editing it again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom