Good camcorder to replace GoPro Hero3 Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trigger-F

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so I've been filming with a GoPro for a year now and have been doing research on what camcorder to replace it with(kind of graduate to something more advanced). I have thought of replacing my DSLR (have a Canon 40D in a Sea & Sea MDX housing and have used it since 2008) however replacing the camera body would require buying a different housing altogether (minus macro/wide angle ports) in the vicinity of $2800+ and I have already spent that much on my first underwater housing.(sadly the 40D does not take video, hence why I bought the GoPro to experiment with).

Does anyone know of a good beginner or mid-range camcorder(with a high resolution LCD) that takes 60 frame 1920x1080 video with a reasonably priced underwater housing for? It seems a good option would be a Canon Vixia G20/G30 in an Ikelite housing but it would break the bank considerably, almost as If I was buying a DSLR setup from scratch. I am open to ideas or what others have replaced their GoPro with? I really like the little camera but some of the footage(especially macro) comes out shaky and of course it does not zoom (can't get close to subjects without spooking them).

Thanks in advance.

I had the same question as you a few months back. I didn't think of going the camcorder route, I think most of the options are probably pretty expensive. The problem I see is that almost anyway you go will be expensive compared to the GoPro.

I choose to go the compact camera route. It was the next least expensive route I found. I choose the Panasonic LX7. It can do macro, reasonably wide angle and 1080p 60 fps, photos too. I think that camera was just discontinued so it may be hard and pricier to obtain now. The Sony RX100 II and III are available though. I think you could do the camera and Ikelite housing for $1100. Then add in a tray and wet lenses. It should be under $2k.

The problem with video cam's is that between te low end Gopro and the like, the financial gap to the next cam's is quite big. I use a Canon HGF10 in a L&M housing, that costs a bundle. So you might indeed consider a DSLR camera in an Ikelite housing (or whatever) and still make decent video and on the side have a nice still camera too.

I just went through this as well. I looked at all those camcorders and decided based on the footage I saw not one had really good low light performance (those for under 3K that is). The camcorder sensors are just too small.
I opted for a pre-enjoyed GH2 since I already had a collection of lenses and couldn't be happier. Keep in mind someone out there will probably want your old housing/camera.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked into the Canon RX-100; that solution could definitely work, plus it's a pretty compact setup. I also had no idea the 50D can shoot video (I thought the 60D does?) This solution would work great given the 50D fits in the housing I have, like you said. Question is, does it do 1080i 60 frame video? Will have to do some research and look further into this. I assume a DSLR, due to the lenses used( I have a Tokina 11-16mm, Sigma 18-50mm and Canon 60mm macro), would yield some pretty decent results.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/28/canon-50d-gains-video-recording-through-magic-lantern-raw-hack/

This looks decent to me even though it's 24p.

Once in a while I check Costco and what camcorders they stock there and came across a Panasonic V550 the other day which I thought had great zoom range and super crisp/HD LCD screen. However, there's no housing for that :( ..I thought that little camcorder in the $400 range would work great too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked into the Canon RX-100; that solution could definitely work, plus it's a pretty compact setup. I also had no idea the 50D can shoot video (I thought the 60D does?) This solution would work great given the 50D fits in the housing I have, like you said. Question is, does it do 1080i 60 frame video? Will have to do some research and look further into this. I assume a DSLR, due to the lenses used( I have a Tokina 11-16mm, Sigma 18-50mm and Canon 60mm macro), would yield some pretty decent results.

Canon 50D gains video recording through Magic Lantern RAW hack

This looks decent to me even though it's 24p.

Once in a while I check Costco and what camcorders they stock there and came across a Panasonic V550 the other day which I thought had great zoom range and super crisp/HD LCD screen. However, there's no housing for that :( ..I thought that little camcorder in the $400 range would work great too.

50D does 1080 30P with Magic Lantern (H.264)
userguide [Magic Lantern wiki]

You might see contact Ikelite and see if they plan to house any of the latest Sony Camcorders. Due to new model releases, they always seem to be about 6 months or more behind on their website listings.

You're not going to be able to touch an electronic housing for much under $2500 now - the demand just isn't there in the low end space. Since Sony did weird things a few years back with their control protocols some of the mfr's re-focused on Canon. L&M for one - they're only selling a Bluefin for Canon - G20/30 and about 1/2 dozen other models - $2799.

Interceptor121 gets some really good video with his Sony RX100II - not the III which he returned. He posts quite a lot here and has a website with a lot of info. No idea what he has in his rig. If I went that route I'd look at the Nauticam housings also.

I'm toying with a Sony AX-100 (4K) in a Aditech Mangrove. With ports etc. I'm looking at $6500. As I said, I'm toying with...:wink:

I shoot a Sony camcorder in an Amphibico housing. I've never zoomed much past about 1/2 way out even though I have a full zoom-thru port. So I wouldn't get hung up on zoom range. Also full zoom-thru glass like Fathom Ports are a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
The thing with Canon and L&M is that while not as nasty as the Sony, they made their new camera series a big longer and they don't fit in the older houses either. Just as annoying, if I want an new camera, I have to buy a new Bluefin too...

Just watched some videos on 50D + Magic Lantern and it seems after it's installed, the trash can button becomes the menu button, however, if in the S&S MDX-40 housing, you can't press the button in the middle of the round quick control dial to start recording (unless there's another way to start/stop recording)? Gotta love DSLR housings..
icon_cry.gif
is this this only button you can record with in ML video mode? You cannot depress the housing's knob, it only rotates. Was almost excited about this solution...

Back
Top Bottom