Underwater video editing software, which one is the best? Help me!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oleg96

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm writing this post since i kind of got fed up with GoPro Studio Editing software. It works fine, but is buggy. They seem to fix an issue but introduce more. I know what some of you will say: Its free and i should not be complaining. I'm not, I'm simply looking for a better alternatives and not to expensive, or even better free.

One of the most important things to me is white balance adjustment. GoPro studio is ok at that, but nothing special.
Can anyone recommend something good

Thanks

A lot depends on your computer, OS, # cores etc (graphic card not as much as the sellers would have you think). The Mac-a-do-dos will jump in here but Mac seems best for social media, if you are serious, Windows 64 bit programs like Powerdirector, plenty o bang for buck. Corel's seems better behaved with less powerful computers, at least for me and Nero is also a consideration.

On windows you should have a free copy of Windows Movie maker, or you can download it to your computer for free. It is a decent program, very good for free. But I've ran into it choking on large amounts of digital data when you try to render it for your viewing copy. Power Director is robust, but it had a bug in displaying thumbnails of videos that support could never fix for me so I got my money back on it before the 30 day return was up. Corel I could never get to down load correctly. Finally am using Adobe Premiere and liking it. People say there is a big learning curve to it, but since I've used other video editing software before I have really never seen this big learning curve people talk about.

I personally use Adobe Premiere elements for my Canon S100 and think it works pretty nice but I have nothing to compare it to - I think I was also able to get it pretty cheap with my wife's student discount. As long as i get the white balance close enough in camera (using manual white balance), I can fix it the rest of the way with Premiere.

A lot depends on your computer, OS, # cores etc (graphic card not as much as the sellers would have you think). The Mac-a-do-dos will jump in here but Mac seems best for social media, if you are serious, Windows 64 bit programs like Powerdirector, plenty o bang for buck. Corel's seems better behaved with less powerful computers, at least for me and Nero is also a consideration.
What an arrogant response about Mac users. Get a life.
So if you use a Mac you can use iMovie or if you want more there is Final Cut Pro which is easy to use and very good.

I am about to purchase something myself. I have used Sony Vegas in the past so that would be easy for me to pick right up on but I have heard really good things about Cyberlink PowerDirector 13 which is the latest version. It gets some of the best reviews for a consumer level editing software.

It gets some of the best reviews for a consumer level editing software.

And unfortunately some of the worst reviews for support. If you can get it loaded and everything works its a great program, I really was excited about it and especially all the extra features you get with their top of the line product, separate suites for color correction and sound editing were just some of the reasons its such a strong program.

Unfortunately if you have any issues they want you to solve them on your own through their online forums, of if they can't get you to do that an you insist you want them to actually support their product they make you do it by email and opening up a support file that never gets addressed and they send you cut and paste solutions to try to fix their software through trial and error.

What was really frustrating was the problem I was having was well documented on their forums by other users having the same issue but support would never even acknowledge the issue when you tried to explain to them the problem was the same one that is on page so and so of their forums, they would ignore any of that and just want to continue to send you cut and paste trial and error solutions every few days. After a few weeks of back and forth and still no resolutions, we finally got something done in the right direction and then when I contacted them for the next step, they had lost all information of me ever contacting them and wanted to start over again from square one from 3 weeks ago. Was a really disappointing experience, as I was bummed as their product really seems to have so much potential.

Thanks Mike,

That is a real eye opener. I actually never had any problems with Vegas. Maybe I just stick with them.

I started with Vegas Pro a few years back, and found it extremely intuitive, and quite powerful....I also used the Cineform NeoScene( now eaten/reincarnated by/into GoPro Studio Professional), this so you can take the lousy 4-2-0 color space of the Canon 5 D mark II, and the h264 codec of it's mov files which are poor for editing, and then upsample to the cineform avi ( or cineform mov), in 4-2-2 or 4-4-4 color and 10 bit...The difference in results after white balancing or color corecting is amazing.....

Now I have switched to being anAdobe Creative Cloud member, and I use Adobe Premiere, along with Prelude, Speedgrade, and After Effects....and this also gets me Photoshop and Lightroom---and on two computers.....Even though I like Vegas, it can't compare with all the resources that Adobe now brings to bear with the CC account. As to learning curve, the tutorials are very good, and there is always Lynda.com :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom