Suggestions for GoPro Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WildKid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm doing a simple, 40 foot dive at the Blue Grotto and was curious if anyone has any thoughts on a GoPro (3+ Black) mount?

I have the head strap, but it seems that would definitely get in the way, having to take my mask off and on. This guy diving in his button down seems ok with it:

g4kdQ1u.jpg

I have the Chesty and was thinking this is the best option, especially if I attached my Gooseneck extension (I guess maybe the gal in the picture was free diving?) on the FRONT.

yzTPutq.jpg

KImbKCU.jpg

Looks like this is another option where an adhesive mount was placed on the mask. Seems reasonable:

lgo0kqa.jpg

There are probably other mounts I'm not aware of but I also am not looking to drop $100 more dollars.

Thoughts?

How about a simple GoPro on a stick. You can look at 6:30 of this video to see how that set up looks:

[video=youtube;dI3u99FsPVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3u99FsPVI&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ[/video]

How about a simple GoPro on a stick. You can look at 6:30 of this video to see how that set up looks:

[video=youtube;dI3u99FsPVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3u99FsPVI&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ[/video]

Yeah, honestly that's exactly what I was thinking. I even have this plastic paint roller handle (just the handle) and make just stick a sticky mount on a wide part of it, then tether the GoPro to my wrist or use a zip tie tethered to the handle and the handle tethered to my wrist. Basically I'm going tomorrow and have to ghetto rig something without compromising safety. Then later I'll probably look at some pvc pipe, or something aluminum (?) like what that guy has.

the wrist mount seems cool, as it seems less cumbersome if you were trying to fiddle with your regulator or something.

That guy's idea is cool because you can point it at yourself, and probably cost about $50 less than what GoPro makes.

I have just been carrying mine by hand. I am planning on building a pvc square with a bolt through the bottom to thread mine on and another mount on the same pvc frame for a light mount. Similar to the 2 handed camera frames you see on the high $$ set ups but for under $5.
If you are going to 40' @ blue grotto you should still have plenty of light for good video but some extra light never hurts.

Btw- I got about 10 mounts for $15 on eBay including a expandable pole. Also I recommend a tether if you carry it by hand.

Have you checked the BCD long arm mount by z gear. It puts the camera in front of you so you see what you are filming. This is a hands free way to film other than the mask mount. It will give steadier filming and no bubble issues or excessive side to side shot you can get with the mask or head mount.

1490665.jpg
6495671.jpg

Check out the other Z Gear mount and receive a 20% scuba board member discount.

https://www.zgearinc.com/

Will you be using your hands for anything else? (i.e. other camera? speargun?)

If you're not using your hands for anything else, then mount your camera on a tray, handle or pole (in this order of preference due to stability of the video).

Body or head mounted footage is NOT pleasant to watch. Wanna turn your torso around to capture that fish passing by? You can't frame your shots and you get bubbles on the footage (head mounted).

A tray, handle or pole is the way to go if you want "watchable quality" video.

Will you be using your hands for anything else? (i.e. other camera? speargun?)

If you're not using your hands for anything else, then mount your camera on a tray, handle or pole (in this order of preference due to stability of the video).

Body or head mounted footage is NOT pleasant to watch. Wanna turn your torso around to capture that fish passing by? You can't frame your shots and you get bubbles on the footage (head mounted).

A tray, handle or pole is the way to go if you want "watchable quality" video.
\

I agree that having a two hands on a tray is probably a great way to film. I also use a camera pole as well with our adjustable light mount.
As seen below.

while you might have pan your body to get a shot of a fish swimming past it does help in the sense that you are making slower and smoother movements. It also tends to film primarily on what is in front of you if that is what you want to primarily get. It can leave your hands free to record most of your dive without you having to hold on to something. Perhaps you need your hands to stabilize your self while filming in an area with a current. I sometimes steady myself with my hands on the sand or rocks and film my subject while a current is on me. If I had my two hands on a tray I most likely would not be able to get this shot. I can understand that you really like your tray set up but maybe the OP is on a budget and buying a tray with two lights is not the most "PRACTICAL" choice $$$! I want to share some footage with the mount, perhaps this would convince you to give this mount a chance on being a good option. If you would like me to share reviews and videos of other scuba board members please let me know I would be glad to post them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqKFC5e1XYk

2635808.jpg

Here's something that actually works if you care about the stability of the video. I can almost always tell when someone is using a pole because it's not as stable. Anything body/head mounted is worse also. A gopro is no different than any other video setup except that it's more sensitive to motion due to the wide angle of the lens - and I believe they lack any sort of image stabilization.

So you want a solid platform for it. I suspect the body mount is better although it still suffers from side to side motion sway while finning.

What really surprises me is that no one has come out with any sort of mechanism to take advantage of water resistance - those beautiful flat pans you see on TV? Part of that is the resistance of the housing moving thru water. Most GoPro video I watch is too jerky to be useful for anything but the owner's YouTube account.

Dive Trays, Dive Lights, and Accessories for GoPro | Snake River Prototyping

Sorry Z Gear, I watched the video and it's not as stable as I thought it would be. As you kick, your torso moves along and you can see the camera wobbling from side to side.

It is almost as shaky as my video below, shot only using a short grip - which is the same as basically holding on to the camera itself. Note that there was current on most shots, specially the one with the clown triggerfish struggling against it towards the end.

[video=youtube;Dev7ldxcBoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dev7ldxcBoI[/video]

(It was edited on a tablet sitting on a beach having a few beers, so there's no background music or fancy editing.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom