Underwater action cams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smudger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for some advice. My wife has expressed an interest in getting an underwater video cam for Christmas. The problem is I'm clueless about it.

There seems to be many on the market now: Go Pro, Muvi, Sony etc. she has just bought a new Hollis mask which comes with a mount for a go pro so I guess this would be the easy choice but I'd like some opinions on which camera gives the best quality results.

All opinions welcome.

Buy her another mount instead. Mask mounting a video camera generally results in unwatchable video since every time she shakes/moves her head so does the image. Or she'll have to do a lot of editing later to produce something watchable. Or we all get to know every time she clears her mask during the dive. I shoot conventional housed video, sometimes when I forgot I later see the "dip" when I checked my wrist computer or gauges.

Any action cams are small so more affected by currents, bumps etc. than other video cameras. I can almost always tell when someone is using a mask mount. Often a pole mount also since the footage bounces more when the pole is fully extended.

How well does her regulator vent to the sides of her mask? That can also be annoying to see streams of bubbles in the footage every time. Remember that the GoPro's shoot 170o coverage standard with fixed focus and no zoom so they're very wide angle.

If she just wants to play around it will work - if she wants to produce something of more quality, buy her a tray or better mounting option. Z gear sells a BC mount that looks interesting also.

Obviously the 4Black shoots the highest resolution video. It may have more features than you want unless you want to shoot in 4K for UltraHD HDTV's now or in the future. Or want to shoot 1080P/120 resolution.

For me, the current sweet spot in the 4 series is the Silver as it comes with the monitor back so you can actually frame and compose what you're shooting. For most people 1080P/60 resolution is what they want - it's the native format of your current HDTV if you have one. And it has the same 12MP sensor as the Black for better quality still photos.

Otherwise you can drop down to the 3+Silver but you basically give up the monitor back and 2Megapixels in the sensor. Depending on what you plan to shoot, that may not be as big an issue.

The White has the old 5MP sensor so image quality - esp. for still shots - won't be as good. So does the new "Hero" entry level. The major difference between them seems to be the White has WiFi - and the entry level is not removable.

I like the Sony's for their footprint but they don't have any sort of monitoring option while shooting. The LCD on the side is only to display camera functions/settings. There's also the JVC Addixion(sp) which has the integrated side monitor - personally I'd find that weird to use.

Agreeing with the two fellows above. Of all the little cams right now the GoPro will give you the best quality.
Hero 4 Black personally would be my next choice as I really like the idea of 1080p at 120. The silver is great of you need a viewfinder to frame shots (plus is a little cheaper).
I've been using my little contour+ for years without the viewfinder and because the lenses are so wide it's really hard to miss the shot and don't find they are necessary (on my GH2 with a 24mm lens though, I'm always using the screen for framing).

Intova has a couple models, but I think GoPro is the only brand that does 1080p @ 60fps. If that doesn't matter, go with what meets your budget.

Whatever you do, don't mask mount the camera. The video is really unwatchable, even just for documentation purposes.

All seems like sound advice. Doesn't seem to have put her off though. What are the best mounting options? Is hand possible from what I've seen these things are tiny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I think the dive tray would be the best option. Then if she gets into it she could add a light.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom