Titan triggerfish tearing sea urchin apart (Video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hybrid Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Check out this awesome footage of Titan triggerfish tearing and eating up a sea urchin from a recent trip by Hybrid Scuba at Bali. We had the chance to go really close without disturbing it. Share it if you like it

http://bit.ly/1BEppRq

For years (decades) my Dad couldn't understand why I wanted to be a marine biologist instead of a businessman. On one visit I showed him and Mom video I had taken while working in Belize of a queen triggerfish trying to open up a conch to get a hermit crab inside. Dad made a comment that it was excellent footage and I finally got mt kudos from him for doing what I love.

As for the Titan triggers, I felt lucky to escape from a nesting one without losing a chunk of my leg!

The mention of Titan triggerfish never fails to raise divers eye or stir up some memories. Most divers have had an encounter with it and is alway a great dinner time story topic. Hybrid Scuba divemasters have had their fair share of attack from them and we tends to steer clear when we see one especially during nesting season

Hybrid scuba did a trip to Perhentian (Malaysia) about 2 years back, our instructor on that trip was attacked by one titan triggerfish. He felt a knock on his head and assumed that one of the diver's fin accidentally knock on him, when he looked up he saw this huge titan looking at him eye to eye. It came for the second wave and bit on to his second stage hose pulling hard, ultimately it managed to pull the second stage away and leaving him with his mouth piece still in his mouth. Lucky it gave up after that, it would be unimaginable what can happen if the titan continue with its attack streak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom