Lighting + Filter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mudd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Santa was extremely nice and I got lights for underwater video, and I also got a magenta filter.

A question: If I have sufficient lights, is there a benefits or drawbacks of also using a filter at the same time?

Usually there is no point to use the filter once you have lights but the situation tells. I saw somewhere really great stills, where the photographer used a certain filter on the strobes and an other type on the camera.

In some situation and provided the filter you use is really well balanced without excessive magenta tint you can use filter and wide balance for close shots (not macro or too close) but only if your camera is capable of excellent auto white balance and if you don't get hotspots
In the majority of cases the results are awful so better have clear rules on / off depending on lights

Back
Top Bottom