Video Light: DRIS Stubby or Archon D11V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zer0Zer0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning to get a GoPro in the future and now looking at which light to purchase.
Does anyone has comparison between the DRIS Stubby and the Archon D11V?

I think my final setup will be a GoPro on a monopod with the light clamp to it.
Would that result in good video?

Cheers.

What environments are you planning on shooting video in? I will say that the Stubby is a bit more powerful than the Archon (860 Lumens v 1000 Lumens) and from the review here is looks like the Archon puts out a little bit less than it's stated lumens. The Stubby has a 140 degree video head vs 110 for the Archon.

Thanks.
I really like the stubby from the specs but the price with shipping is 3x more! So my question to members is if the Made in China light "good enough" for what I want to do. Of course I want the best result but it is a big price difference. Or is the stubby considerably better that I should get it anyway?

Is there other alternatives that I should look at?

Bear in mind that the Stubby comes with a battery and charger, which would be extra with the Archon.

The Impact Stubby comes with a LC 26650 rechargeable battery. You can add an extra battery at checkout.

I just bought a set of Archon D11V's. Haven't used them yet underwater but so far happy with them. There is a significant price difference. So it depends on how you want to use them. I have 2 of them to cover the GoPro wide view. and that way I can angle them to prevent backscatter. They go at around $40 (without battery/charger) a pop. (china)

The Stubby is very good and probably a better light than the the Archon D11V. That said the D11V is much smaller and lighter than the Stubby. IMHO the D11V would work on a monopole much better than a Stubby. If you go with the D11V make sure you get a good battery, it make a huge difference. Check out this thread for more battery info. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...n-d11v-video-light-review.html?highlight=d11V

While I haven't used a monopole myself yet, physics says that the more weight/mass at the far end of a pole the less stable it is. Without holding them at the same time, my best guess is that the Stubby weights 2-3 times more than the D11V.

For example see this video. My buddy is using four DRIS 1000 lights with holographic diffusers, I am using 2 lights at the beginning and a single D11V at the end of the video. Hope it helps.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=760568890695708&set=vb.100002278115814 &type=2&theater[/video]

Last edited:
My rig is an Intova+Two Archons

Here is a video of me using it. This is around 80fsw which is very very dark where I am...

[video=youtube;3y3hydNafLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3hydNafLc[/video]

Before
1654071_10153884171880704_1540894603_n.jpg

After

10891763_10155001062205704_2899221249902623626_n.jpg

I think for a tenth of a price of a DLSR and housing this setup takes decent photos (I extract screentshots from videos)...

10898108_10155001062655704_8251296655396918119_n.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited:
I am planning to get a GoPro in the future and now looking at which light to purchase.
Does anyone has comparison between the DRIS Stubby and the Archon D11V?

I think my final setup will be a GoPro on a monopod with the light clamp to it.
Would that result in good video?

Cheers.

I don't have both lights to give you a comparison but I am using the archon 11v at the moment. They work pretty well.

Here is a short clip of me filming with one archon 11V clamped to mono pole.
My dive buddy has a pair of archons with on a BC mount so you can see the light in use as well.
The current was quite strong at the canyon at La jolla this day even down at 80 feet.
[video=youtube;9tfr209YKHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tfr209YKHg[/video]
s780561385371224093_p4_i6_w160.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom