Gopro Hero 3+ Standard Waterproof Housing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluewaterextreme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I received a Gopro Hero 3+ as a Christmas gift and I am in the process of getting it set up for diving, but only have the standard housing right now. Has anyone had any issues with the standard housing leaking while diving? I know it says it is good down to 130 feet, but I don't want to find out the hard way that I should have got the scuba housing. I have a dive trip planned next week that will not take me any deeper than 70-80 feet if that. Should I be okay with the standard housing?

My GoPro 3 came with the 60m housing and has never given me a problem in over 100 dives. I have seen 2 of the new 40m housings flood in the last 6 months, both in water far less than 40m deep.

Is the difference between standard and dive housings the lens in the housing? I thought the standard lens didn't correct for light diffraction under water like the dive housing does.

My GoPro 3 came with the 60m housing and has never given me a problem in over 100 dives. I have seen 2 of the new 40m housings flood in the last 6 months, both in water far less than 40m deep.
Thanks for the info! To me the 40m housing just doesn't look like it was meant to dive with even with the company saying it is good down to 40m. I just hope I can find a 60m housing before my trip. I have not seen any locally which means I will have to order one or hope I can pick one up on my trip down. I would hate to flood my camera on the first dive.

Is the difference between standard and dive housings the lens in the housing? I thought the standard lens didn't correct for light diffraction under water like the dive housing does.
That may very well be true, but to be honest I really don't know for sure. I do know that the dive housing according GoPro is suppose to be good down to 60m(190feet) and the standard housing is only suppose to be waterproof to 40m(130feet). Sounds like in either case I would be better off to get the dive housing then I would be covered in either case. I already had the Hero 960 which came with a dive housing that is suppose to be good to 180 feet and have never had an issue with it yet.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 10:02 AM ----------

I've been using the standard 3+ housing down to 110 feet without issue.

Jim

That's good to know! Thanks! Have you noticed any issues with light diffraction?

That's good to know! Thanks! Have you noticed any issues with light diffraction?

Not sure what you're referring to in light diffraction... I don't use the super wide angle setting but use a narrower setting. Haven't seen any issues.

Jim

Thanks for the info to everyone. I have done some research and have been told that GoPro pressure tests every housing they make before it goes out the door. They guarantee them to be water proof to the advertised depths. That being said there is folks out there that have had both type housings flood and destroy their camera. This usually occurs when the owner has not properly maintained the housing. Such as when sand or a build up of salt particles are left on the seal which create cuts in the seal or leaves a small gap for water to enter the housing. If the housing is properly maintained and cared for GoPro guarantee's the product as long as the max depth is not exceeded. So unless I can find a dive housing on my way there in a couple of day I will just use the 40m housing this time. Once again thanks for the help!

Make sure the gasket is clean and in good shape and you should have no problems. A stray hair will also frigg up the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom