4K thoughts after few months testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Interesting read. I had that same media player in mind to replace my aging Seagate Freeagent Theater player which is beginning to act up.

I've been already thinking about what compact camera I'd want after the LX7. 4K would be the expected move but it seems that 4K compacts are just starting to come onto the scene. Besides I'm still holding off for now with upgrading my displays. You mention things are probably still a year or so away till it's a worthwhile idea, I'm good with that.

So do you consider the LX100 a capable UW camera? I imagine the focal length might lack for macro. Is the RX100 still the best bet at the moment for UW video?

Edit: I just read your thoughts on advanced compacts. Not very promising. I can only wait and hope that smaller sensor 4K compacts pop up with the right lens types.

I mostly play back my stuff using a PC, uhd is no problem for my graphics card/cpu. As for IQ, my hero4black it is definitely worth to set to 4k.

The latest rumor is that the Sony RX100 M4 will have 4K and a zoom out to 100mm. I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt though. If it turns out to be the case, It may prove to be promising.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago after upgrading to a newer HD camcorder I was told to upgrade once again to 3D HD. Glad I didn't (although I've worked on a film shot in 3D 4K for IMAX theaters). I've watched 4K video on large screens and it is beautiful but I'm going to wait a bit in terms of getting directly involved myself.

UHD 4K not yet a viable option – at least for me | Interceptor121 Underwater Photo & Video Blog
UHD 4K not yet a viable option – at least for me | Interceptor121 Underwater Photo & Video Blog

See what you think?
4k video is not really about the 4k monitors at the moment as there are few people that have them and those that do you really ne 60 plus inches to really see a improvement, or so I have been told. The real advantage is being able to edit crop and zoom in certain segments and still keep at lest 720-1080p quality in those edits. That's the real benifit. I personally think the images are sharper on small screens and you can also pull 5mp stills from 4k footage. My GoPro in 4k though doesn't handle movement very well.

4k video is not really about the 4k monitors at the moment as there are few people that have them and those that do you really ne 60 plus inches to really see a improvement, or so I have been told. The real advantage is being able to edit crop and zoom in certain segments and still keep at lest 720-1080p quality in those edits. That's the real benifit. I personally think the images are sharper on small screens and you can also pull 5mp stills from 4k footage. My GoPro in 4k though doesn't handle movement very well.

I agree, that's what I've been using 4K for lately. As far as the GoPro 4k movement goes, I think the GoPro is just 1 more generation away from better 60fps 4k. It seems that all the 4K cameras at present are capped at 30fps but that will change. I'm kinda holding off on a purchase till then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom