Gopro Hero4 or alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
After a few years of my Hero2,I am bout to upgrade.I wear it on a head strap so it will have to be compact.

Is the gopro 4black worth the $4-500 and is it the best option.

I am slowly learning how to edit but frankly have a lot of obligation and interests and only 24 hours to meet them all.

4K Action Cam - FDR-X1000V/W Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

This is the new Sony and as far as I know about the only thing that competes with the GoPro. Has some really nice specs, if I hadn't just gotten the GoPro I would have picked this up instead.

At $499.00 (without a waterproof housing) by the time you get a waterproof housing it is more than the highest end GoPro. Might (might not) be a better camera....

I got the black 4 and I don't really see the benefit. If i put it on super high frame rate, my computer can't deal with the files. The increase in quality from the 2 to the 3 plus was pretty big, especially with the better low light capability which is so important. I can't seem to see much difference between the results with the 3 plus black and the 4 black.

Maybe the silver 4 version would be a better value, while you wait for the 5 or 6?

Umm, Hero4 Black is 550. The sony is 499 and the housing is 48US on the bhphoto site. Pretty much the same price and it has image stabilization and can record up to 240p.

I got the black 4 and I don't really see the benefit. If i put it on super high frame rate, my computer can't deal with the files. The increase in quality from the 2 to the 3 plus was pretty big, especially with the better low light capability which is so important. I can't seem to see much difference between the results with the 3 plus black and the 4 black.

Maybe the silver 4 version would be a better value, while you wait for the 5 or 6?

Can someone confirm this? Is there barely any significant different apart from the 4k?

And to bump the thread, does anyone else have any alternatives for Gopro 3 or 4 ?
One poster mentioned the Sony, and I am looking at the: Action Cam - HDR-AS200V/W Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US I found one diving comparison video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v517jIGo_lo where it looks like the sony is sharper.

There's also the dirt-cheap SJ4000. At 1:06 the uploader states that SJ4000 is the left cam.
Here's a German comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvkgUyHCkk
For 100usd that is a bargain!

Umm, Hero4 Black is 550. The sony is 499 and the housing is 48US on the bhphoto site. Pretty much the same price and it has image stabilization and can record up to 240p.

Umm. Hero 4 Black is $499.

The dive shop I go thru has the GoPro 3 and 4. The owner is suggesting going with the 3 and not the 4 because of the price difference vs available technology. If you go with the 4 w/ 4k then you have to have a computer & monitor that is compatible for 4k. Unless you are really into editing and high quality video the 3 is plenty of camera for the average person shooting video. Something else I like about the GoPro is the backpack LCD screen capability. Last week we were in Cozumel and I found that not having the LCD screen was a PITA. I don't get to use my Hero2 all that often so I struggle with whether it is turned and recording or not. With the LCD screen I can see that it is on and I can see if the video is running or not. The waterproof housing on my Hero2 pretty much covers the screen on the front of the camera that shows that the video is running and does not on any of the 3's or 4's. I am sticking with the GoPro myself. I can capture stills off of any video I shoot which you can probably do with just about any video editing software.

Here is a Facebook page for anyone to check out. It is hosted by Pete Bucknell who teaches classes on using the GoPro. He also has an E-book that you can get for either PC or MAC to read up on how to use the GoPro.

GoPro Underwater Group

Good luck with your editing!

I sold my GoPro 3 black. I don't have lights and deeper that 40 ft I didn't like quality of GoPro 3 not in video and not in pictures. No video stabilization, no sharpness, not good white balance in GoPro 3 black, which required red filter, which make sharpness less.
About year ago I bought Sony HDR-AS100V with dive box (I think up to 200 ft) and flat door (MUST for underwater foto!) from B&H for $269.
From this time I forgot what is video white balance correction and make stabilization in software.
I also don't hesitate now to make video on 100ft with understanding that quality without additional light will be not so good, but at least nobody will think on turtle that it is crab, like was with GoPro 3 black.
ONE real limitation in Sony (and I think it remained in all next models), it is not possibility to change from video to photo under water. Decision should be taken before dive. 90% I do video, so not care much.

I sold my GoPro 3 black. I don't have lights and deeper that 40 ft I didn't like quality of GoPro 3 not in video and not in pictures. No video stabilization, no sharpness, not good white balance in GoPro 3 black, which required red filter, which make sharpness less.
About year ago I bought Sony HDR-AS100V with dive box (I think up to 200 ft) and flat door (MUST for underwater foto!) from B&H for $269.
From this time I forgot what is video white balance correction and make stabilization in software.
I also don't hesitate now to make video on 100ft with understanding that quality without additional light will be not so good, but at least nobody will think on turtle that it is crab, like was with GoPro 3 black.
ONE real limitation in Sony (and I think it remained in all next models), it is not possibility to change from video to photo under water. Decision should be taken before dive. 90% I do video, so not care much.

How is the Sony regarding colors underwater? Can it do some good autobalancing? How is it's autobalancing compared to the GoPro3 Black?
Are there red-filters available for it?

Back
Top Bottom