GoPro video post-processing - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Coming from still photography using raw file format and Lightroom post-processing, I'm quite comfortable with having to post-process. In fact, I don't like to show stuff I haven't 'cleaned up' on my computer, so post-processing is in the equation for me WRT video as well as stills. I'm still at the start of my learning curve here, so tips on editing programs, and/or recommended adjustment settings would be appreciated.

The amount of light available at depth up here makes me want to avoid any use of filters. I sometimes use a SOLA 1200 as my (only) light, sometimes only ambient lighting. Right now I'm shooting in 2.7k (to allow for cropping in post), protune on, low sharpening and native color balance.

For video editing/processing, I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 13. I briefly tried out the GoPro video editor, but the lack of adjustment layers turned me off that program and got me to buy a license for Premiere Elements.

My first attempt at video shooting and post-production:
[video=vimeo;121607620]https://vimeo.com/121607620[/video]

Comments? Tips?

I read your reply with some interest. I have shot video using my GoPro Silver both with and without the filter. I also use Cyberlink PowerDirector 13 and Color director 3. I was not able to successfully color correct the video shot without the filter. The video was too blue and nothing I did would make the video look natural. On the same dive I shot some video with a filter and I was able to easily correct those. Can you elaborate on techniques you use to correct video?
To the OP: I have noticed that lights only have an effect at a short distance for daytime video.

seaseadee,
I was not able to successfully color correct the video shot without the filter. The video was too blue and nothing I did would make the video look natural. On the same dive I shot some video with a filter and I was able to easily correct those. Can you elaborate on techniques you use to correct video?
I tried sending you a private msg but it doesn't look like it got to you.
Anyway, I offered to try an edit a sample 15 sec video clip you can provide, both a raw bad one and one raw you shot with a red filter for comparison and maybe a third file of that red one you consider properly edited.
You won't be able to email files that large, but it is easy to upload to your google drive and send me an email with the link, so I can download it.
Stew

my email addy is stewart.corman@gmail.com

I do my video editing with lightroom. Did you try?

I am using Color Director 3. I've tried adjusting contrast as well as the individual color curves with little success. I am trying to understand the process of color correction more than anything else. There are too many variables for trial and error.

attempt at editing GoPro video

Took a long time to download those two clips ....lose that Vodoo and next time just upload directly to google drive.
I took a few screen grabs to show you some comparisons.
Firstly, without sunlight or video light, or too deep you get almost nothing.
Secondly, shoot closeup objects within a foot or two to see how good an image you can really get ...30 feet away with a wide angle lens gives you BLUE.
I have seen GoPro video clips that were stunning.
Stew

below is the best I could do
no-filter edited.jpg
below is the original
no-filter orig.jpg
the red filter is below
with-filter edited.jpg
and the original
with-filter raw.jpg

Thanks for taking the time. Would you be able to give a brief outline of which specific settings you changed to get to that?

I was using Powerdirector 12.
After importing media file, choose a frame that is best example.
The trick in the second one which had some color to start with, is start at fix/enhance/white balance, click on white calibration/pointer and on the sand and use the color neutral tool to pick the sand and call it white. Try it a few times on different areas to see what looks better.
Play with color balance to right of center to get rid of slight blue, maybe a little of tint to the left.
Lighting adjust ..just click and let it do it's work
Color adjust/sharpness ...very slight, add until gets too grainy.
Color/adjust: play with exposure -, brightness+, contrast +, hue slightly -, saturation high +

If you uncheck topics on left side, you can see before/after effects

You need to get up close and you should see photos like this taken w/o lamps natural light 60 feet down:
P1050780.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom