Lens selection for GH4 video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugatti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wanting to get more serious about UW video (been using a GoPro and TG-3). I'm about to pull the trigger on a Panasonic GH4 and Nauticam housing. One of the big draws to the Panasonic GH4 over a the Sony FDR AX100 is the ability to steal some of my dive buddy's lenses from his EM-5 arsenal so I don't have to buy my own :).

To start with I only want to get one lens / port combination... I'll add more later (or steal his). I'm torn on lens selection and would like advice. Love the Oly 12-50mm on our EM-5... incredibly versatile. I am concerned about using the Oly 12-50 on the GH4 due to lack of significant image stabilization in either the body or lens (very spoiled with the 5 axis in body stabilization from olympus!)

I am leaning towards the Panasonic 14-42mm in the 35 macro port and adding a flip cmc-1 for more macro capability. Thoughts? I've read Interceptor 121's excellent suggestion regarding the UCL-165 added to the 14-42 (thank you!), but haven't found any one using the cmc-1 with the Panasonic 14-42mm.

I know there is no "all in one-der" lens and port combination, but am looking for the most versatile, stable image for video. I'm still just new enough to UW video that I can't bring myself to fully commit an entire dive to wide angle vs macro :) I'll get there...

Also- thoughts on the Oly 60mm hand-held with or without diopter? Is there a lot of shake? (I know operator dependent). We are headed to Florida in a few weeks, so I'll try it out then but thoughts / suggestions are much appreciated.

Wanting to get more serious about UW video (been using a GoPro and TG-3). I'm about to pull the trigger on a Panasonic GH4 and Nauticam housing. One of the big draws to the Panasonic GH4 over a the Sony FDR AX100 is the ability to steal some of my dive buddy's lenses from his EM-5 arsenal so I don't have to buy my own :).
Saves a fortune - if he is happy to share (I'm quite guarded with mine!)

To start with I only want to get one lens / port combination... I'll add more later (or steal his). I'm torn on lens selection and would like advice. Love the Oly 12-50mm on our EM-5... incredibly versatile. I am concerned about using the Oly 12-50 on the GH4 due to lack of significant image stabilization in either the body or lens (very spoiled with the 5 axis in body stabilization from olympus!)

If you have used his camera a bit, I think you will be in for a bit of a disappointment with the GH4 and the lack of IBIS, its the one thing its lacking badly, so with that you really need to choose Panasonic lenses that have OIS. But even then the OIS is no match for IBIS.

I am leaning towards the Panasonic 14-42mm in the 35 macro port and adding a flip cmc-1 for more macro capability. Thoughts? I've read Interceptor 121's excellent suggestion regarding the UCL-165 added to the 14-42 (thank you!), but haven't found any one using the cmc-1 with the Panasonic 14-42mm.

The 14-42mm Power Zoom is a good choice - i personally haven't used it with a WA Wet lens, but for my general diving (1st dive of the trip, type thing) its my favourite. I have the CMC on the flip (makes it a great macro lens, however the CMC+60mm is another level!)

I know there is no "all in one-der" lens and port combination, but am looking for the most versatile, stable image for video. I'm still just new enough to UW video that I can't bring myself to fully commit an entire dive to wide angle vs macro :) I'll get there...

Once you've used a UWA lens underwater (talking the 7-14mm) you seriously won't go back. Its just crying for some IBIS!
Also don't forget the 2.3x crop if using the GH4 in 4K mode, so your 14mm behind a flat port with a crop of 2.3 makes it not very wide...

Also- thoughts on the Oly 60mm hand-held with or without diopter? Is there a lot of shake? (I know operator dependent). We are headed to Florida in a few weeks, so I'll try it out then but thoughts / suggestions are much appreciated.

The 60mm is very hard to use without supporting it underwater (even without the diopter), the DoF is tiny and any movement will render what you want to take photos off out of focus, so a gorillapod or similar would be a good thing to help. (Turn off AF too)

Back to your original question, if you are set on the GH4 - get the 14-42mm power zoom first. Its the most versatile of the lot to start out with for general diving snaps.

Thank you!

When (not if) I get the 7-14, I'll put it behind a dome port. I'm planning on using a tripod for most of the macro shots, but sometimes the little critters aren't obliging enough to be positioned for tripod use ... I'm looking at you Mr. Pygmy Seahorse!

Appreciate your comments and suggestions, thanks again.
Ash

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom