GoPro Filters???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KawabungaDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where the best place to post this was but I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on Go-pro underwater filters. The one I have been leaning towards is the Flip 3.1 combo. Doesn anyone have any experience with this one or any others. Pictures would be great!

I have used a flip style (not the one you are looking at) and the hinge wore out really quick so you couldn't keep the filter in front of the lens. It was annoying because every time I pointed the gopro down the filter would flap up and down

Avoid those Chinese red filters as they are crap. Way too red and dark.
You would prefer an expensive original red filter that a cheap chinese one, as it will ruin your videos.
Voice of experience.

One of the higher, if not highest, quality filters that more than one professional underwater photographer has recommended to me is the Magic Filters brand. Their main business is in developing quality filters for underwater compact and DSLR cameras with advanced white balance correction, but I would imagine their GoPro filters are of similar quality. As I have not tested them I cannot comment on the mechanical quality and ease of use etc. so I suggest doing some additional background research. Here's a link to their site: M A G I C - F I L T E R S

Note, however, that even with their high quality DSLR filters they only promise good results until about 15-20 meters depth in clear water. Below this the loss of color is so pronounced that filters cannot achieve a good result.

Cut and paste (again) from a previous post on the same topic...

I've spent a significant amount of time testing the backscatter filters and what I would was the Deep filter is not very good.
The colors are not even remotely natural, and it affects the sharpness to a significant degree.

Here is a shot at the same location, about 3 seconds later without the filter:

I don't know if the diver or shallow filter would be the same with regards to sharpness, but it is mostly irrelevant because...

The +10 filter is awesome! It doesn't do much for close focusing, maybe makes it an inch or so closer, but it significantly increases sharpness at all focal ranges. It does cut down of field of view though. If you can get more than one, and one of them is the older, thicker type that you can stack, you can focus on things that are about 1/4" in front of the camera. So close it would be hard to illuminate the subject. I haven't tried it yet underwater, but it would definitely be macro- capable.

With filter:

without filter:

You might have to view full size to see the difference, I'm not sure what type of compression SB puts on images.

-Chris

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where the best place to post this was but I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on Go-pro underwater filters. The one I have been leaning towards is the Flip 3.1 combo. Doesn anyone have any experience with this one or any others. Pictures would be great!

I've had great results with the Backscatter Flip 3.1! Go for it. This video was shot with a Flip 3.1 using Shallow and Dive red filters changed according to depth: https://youtu.be/xBZjcPL7LQw

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 04:35 AM ----------

I have used a flip style (not the one you are looking at) and the hinge wore out really quick so you couldn't keep the filter in front of the lens. It was annoying because every time I pointed the gopro down the filter would flap up and down

I did not have this issue with the Backscatter Flip 3.1. In fact, the hinges are so tight that it takes deliberate effort to move them, which is a good thing.

Best filters bar none are the pro quality URPRO glass filters from Snake River Prototyping. They also will work with the flip system from Backscatter. You will need to order the flip system without the filter and with the 55mm threaded filter holder. I use the flip system with a shallow water cyan filter and a deeper water cyan filter both from Snake River Prototyping. The glass filters hold up very well compared to the plastic filters offered by others. However you must protect the glass filter from scratches as you can not buff out glass. I have tried both and prefer glass. Check my videos for sample of color

uploadfromtaptalk1443268927157.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443269042212.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443269186240.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443269223972.jpg

I went through the same process not knowing whether to get Backscatter or SRP. I wanted the best of both worlds of a flip & glassfilter of SRP. So I baught both to & have a spare system on the trip.

The SRP CY 55mm filter can be threaded onto the ring hinge door of backscatter flip or on top of the macro 10 lens. Down side is lack of vent so it needs to be "equalized" to let trapped bubble out as part of the equipment check on the decent. It can even go on the Macro mini lens, but really video lights are better. My Skill level Just Can't Handle Macro at all.

The idea of adding a small macro 10 lens is borrow from polarpro & also a member here who shot really awesome macro vids that used for the SRP official site. He used it w their system which included the marumi macro lens. But the border of that is too wide so limits the range of view. Backscatters macro 10 lens use a metal wall allowing a wider view because its thinner.

IMO the SRP Cy filter result is superior. The color correction is just so nice & subtle. It also allows more light to come through. That may be the thickness of the backscatter plastic flip filter.

With a Macro 10 lens, CY filter really gives the video a sharp edge & adds depth. Making the viewer feeling being present at the scene.

Photos above did not show the combo of Cy (SRP) + macro 10 (backscatter).

Was gonna do a review. Just busy lazy. If anyone is interested, ill do that & post more photos.

Honestly having a simplistic system really makes things easier. There are plenty of stuff to fumble around already. Taking pictures & videos takes a lot of attention away from the rest.

Having abundant light as in the shallow zone and white balance turned out to be an issue for us with the Gopro 4. Sometimes we just get a green washed out screen instead of color correction. If someone knows more, please chime in.

Last edited:
Best filters bar none are the pro quality URPRO glass filters from Snake River Prototyping.

☝I reached the same conclusion about SRP filter. The retainer rings on my cy filter got loosen up a few time & should be checked since its a bit more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom