Underwater audio recording?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am purchasing a full face mask to record audio tracks to go along with my video. My question is what else do I need in order to record audio underwater. I will be using a GoPro for video so connecting somehow altering the case myself is not the ideal solution. I was hoping a stand alone voice recording option would be maybe better for this. Cost would be definitely be a factor but size and usability would also be.

Which Full Face Mask do you have?

Have you decided on the underwater Mic you will be using?

I'm using an OTS Guardian with their D2 BuddyPhone - I've then got their in-water receiver Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

This comes with a EO connector which you will have to drill and fit to your camera housing - this however won't fit the standard GoPro housing - you will need something a bit bigger to accommodate the additional mic wiring.

The other (cheaper) option would be to use the OTS same receiver and get a Olympus type of memo recorder in a waterproof housing (thinking even one of those key holders) and use it that way - these memo recorders have automatic REC on audio - so you wouldn't need to worry about button presses etc

Use and photograph a slate at the beginning of your recording to synch what you are dictating to the proper series of images. It can be pretty hard to remember what goes where later when you have several shots and separate audio to link to them.

Back
Top Bottom