Great White Sharks of Guadalupe Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Premo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was fortunate to dive for three days with great white sharks off Guadalupe Island. It was a unique experience and I would like to share my video, I hope you enjoy it. I shot it with a sony rx100 m2 in a nauticam housing and with Inon dome lens Unit for the UWL H100.

https://youtu.be/xYFeu4Yx15M

[video=youtube;xYFeu4Yx15M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYFeu4Yx15M;feature=youtu.be[/video]

Really amazing. Always wanted to do this. What were the logistics like?

Really amazing. Always wanted to do this. What were the logistics like?

I was on the Nautilus Belle Amie, beautiful ship with a lot of space. Great White Sharks of Guadalupe Island | Go face to face in crystal clear water using unique submersible cages resulting in natural interaction. Come dive with Nautilus Explorer & Belle Amie off the coast of Baja California, Mexico

I flew to San Diego. From there a bus was organized that took us in a couple hours to Ensenada, Mexico. There we boarded the Belle Amie. The crossing to Guadalupe was around 20-22 hours. The next three days we were diving. They had one surface cage which was open from 6.30am until 5 or 6 pm. I don't really remember. They also had a 15 feet cage which opened also shortly after the surface cage. Then they had three submergible cages at 30 feet. Everyone gets around 4 dives at 45 minutes in that cage a day. All depending on how many certified divers are there, you may get more. After day three we headed back Ensenada and then back to San Diego.

I was there in Dec 2004 filming with Dr. Guy Harvey. Definitely a great experience and one I'd like to repeat but this time with an HD camera instead of SD! Thanks for sharing your video so I can see what the RX100 II can do.

Nice video! One of those 'maybe bucket list' dreams of mine. I think the aftermath would stick in my mind, though. I know great whites are 'out there.' I've dove in Florida, where they occur, and I hope to try California diving, where they seem to be more in the public mind for whatever reason. But I've never seen one. I think having their (drama alert) horrific majesty impressed on me up close in person would make me think about them afterward whenever I dove in areas they're known to inhabit.

Those of you who've dove with them like this, afterwards, ever hear the Jaws music during your dives, or get the willies?

Richard.

Those of you who've dove with them like this, afterwards, ever hear the Jaws music during your dives, or get the willies?

I have not been diving since but can tell you soon :wink: However I was never worried about them as I dive in warmer waters were you usually don't see them and the great whites at Guadalupe were very shy and cautious so probably I'm even less worried now.

When were you there and over 3 days (12 dives?) how many times did you see whites? Also, how much $$ if you don't mind me asking?

When were you there and over 3 days (12 dives?) how many times did you see whites? Also, how much $$ if you don't mind me asking?
Yes I did around 12 dives in the submergible cages but spent the rest of the day in the 15 feet or surface cage. There is usually always space. The whites were always there, not a single dive without one. Usually there were 2-3 around the cages. They open the surface cage first in the morning and there it may take a while until you see the first one. Especially on the first day it maybe took 30-45 minutes for the first one to show up. But once the first submergible cage hit the water they were there the whole day.

I was on the Nautilus Belle Amie, a beautiful ship. I think prices start around 3000 $ depending on the room. I didn't really check the other ships. there may be cheaper options but also I don't know how their set up with the cages is.

Thanks for sharing your video. The GWS are amazing. I worked on season on a liveaboard (it's not around anymore) doing trips to Guadalupe...simply amazing. I'd love to go back.

I got to go to the Socorro's on the Nautilus Belle Amie in May. Great boat, great crew...the giant mantas are breathtaking.

Thanks for sharing your video. The GWS are amazing. I worked on season on a liveaboard (it's not around anymore) doing trips to Guadalupe...simply amazing. I'd love to go back.

I got to go to the Socorro's on the Nautilus Belle Amie in May. Great boat, great crew...the giant mantas are breathtaking.

I'll go on the Nautilus Belle Amie next April :) I can't wait to see the giant mantas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom