Sony DCR-HC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblebrain

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm looking at the Sony DCR-HC1000 , and would like to get some information from people who have used this camcorder . So , if you have any experiance with one I would be grateful for some information .

Thank's a bunch , Bubblebrain "Wayne".

The HC1000 replaces the TRV950 and sells for a bit less then the 950. The TRV950 has a great reputation. The TRV950 had the image quality of the VX1000 but for $1000 less. Ask about what people think of the TVR950 there are many 950 user but the HC1000 is still to new.

bubblebrain:
Hi Everyone

I'm looking at the Sony DCR-HC1000 , and would like to get some information from people who have used this camcorder . So , if you have any experiance with one I would be grateful for some information .

bubblebrain:
Hi Everyone

HC1000 is a 3 chip camcorder and typically more expensive than 1 chip camcorders.

For the money, I wouldn't buy that camcorder unless I found a housing that could manually set white balance. That's easier said than done because on that camcorder, manually white balance is set with the touch screen.

You should check with Amphibico. On their website they are stating access to white balance. I'd ask for specific details on how they do it. Make sure it's not just changing modes, but actual manually setting white balance.

ronrosa:
.... unless I found a housing that could manually set white balance. That's easier said than done because on that camcorder, manually white balance is set with the touch screen.

Couldn't the white balance be set on an electronic control housing via the LANC port?
I have seen electronic controls that claim to be able to set the white balance on any
Sony camera.

ronrosa:
.... unless I found a housing that could manually set white balance. That's easier said than done because on that camcorder, manually white balance is set with the touch screen.

Couldn't the white balance be set on an electronic control housing via the LANC port?
I have seen electronic controls that claim to be able to set the white balance on any
Sony camera.

ChrisA:
Sony camera.

Could be, but I know USVH uses electronic controls via the LANC and they stated manual white balance was not available via the LANC on the Sony PC350 because it's accessed through the touch screen.

It's possible Sony made the HC1000 white balance accessible through the LANC in addition to the touch screen, but on the PC350 it's touch screen only.

I was looking at upgrading my camera from the sony TRV-33 to the TRV-950 but now the DCR-HC1000 arrives on the scene :( I have heard great things about the TRV-950 so it seems it may be worth the price but the DCR-HC1000 seems like it can be had for about 300 dollars cheaper--what a dilemma? If anyone has any info about the HC1000. I would be greatful to hear about it as well.

shroy002:
I was looking at upgrading my camera from the sony TRV-33 to the TRV-950 but now the DCR-HC1000 arrives on the scene :( I have heard great things about the TRV-950 so it seems it may be worth the price but the DCR-HC1000 seems like it can be had for about 300 dollars cheaper--what a dilemma? If anyone has any info about the HC1000. I would be greatful to hear about it as well.

www.Camcorderinfo.com is great for camcorder reviews. Very detailed and in depth.

Here is their review on the HC1000.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC1000-Camcorder-Review.htm

At the risk of sounding like a broken record;

If you're going to spend that kind of money, make sure you have access to manual white balance. The TRV950 was not a problem. HC1000 uses the touch screen. White balance via the LANC may or may not be possible. Ask the housing mfr.

For an example of what manual white balance can do for color, watch this clip shot at 90ft deep.

www.ronrosa.com/wb.wmv

Thanks Ronrosa,

Ok, did a google search for manual white balance and understand the concept. Tried it out on my digital still camera and my video camera--can make a big difference.

Good color in the video. Great stuff actually.

Now that being said how do you manually adjust the white balance while at 90 fsw? Do you have white divers slate to do this, and how often must it be done--say the sun goes behind the clouds--do you have to adjust the the white balance again?

Also,is this something that can be done during editing?

How often do you have to manually adjust the white balance during a dive?

I am heading to the big island of Hawaii for a couple of weeks in February and I am going to upgrade my camera before then. I was planning on the TRV 950 had serious thoughts about the HC1000 when I saw the price, but looking through the documentation of my UW Housing (Top Dawg) I don't see the option for manual white balance. That being said--and having read the review, it seems like the 950 may still be the right choice. It fits into my housing--and seems to be a nice bridge till ther are some affordable HD cameras that can be housed.

I have not had bad luck color correcting during editing--I have already created filters in FCP/HD for removing the red from topside shots since I must mount the red filter on the camera before sealing it in the housing, as well as color correcting for other situations as well. And until I am ready to upgrade my housing I will have to continue this. Overall the 950 still seems to be the best affordable choice that I can make at the moment.

Again thanks for your input, it has been most helpful indeed.

ronrosa:
www.Camcorderinfo.com is great for camcorder reviews. Very detailed and in depth.

Here is their review on the HC1000.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC1000-Camcorder-Review.htm

At the risk of sounding like a broken record;

If you're going to spend that kind of money, make sure you have access to manual white balance. The TRV950 was not a problem. HC1000 uses the touch screen. White balance via the LANC may or may not be possible. Ask the housing mfr.

For an example of what manual white balance can do for color, watch this clip shot at 90ft deep.

www.ronrosa.com/wb.wmv

shroy002:
I was looking at upgrading my camera from the sony TRV-33 to the TRV-950 but now the DCR-HC1000 arrives on the scene :( I have heard great things about the TRV-950 so it seems it may be worth the price but the DCR-HC1000 seems like it can be had for about 300 dollars cheaper...

I noticed the price drop too. With luck it should depress the price of a used TRV950 by $300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom