AquaCam Ex Housing For Panasonic MiniDV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mack50md

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been considering making the jump into underwater videography. I've been using a MiniDV Panasonic PV-DV201 for a few years topside. I would like to marry it up with an Aquatix Aqua Cam Ex housing and was hoping I could get a couple questions answered.

Anybody out there using this housing? How has it performed?

My Panasonic, like Sony, has the iLink interface (firewire). I also have IR remote control capability on this cam. Is either one of these features what is being referred to as "Control-L" or "LANC" in the Aquatix literature I'm reading? I would prefer to go as automated as possible.

Could I use my lens mounted filters in lieu of buying the housing filters and achieve the same results?

mack50md:
My Panasonic, like Sony, has the iLink interface (firewire). I also have IR remote control capability on this cam. Is either one of these features what is being referred to as "Control-L" or "LANC" in the Aquatix literature I'm reading?
No,
Control-L/LANC is a protocol supported by Sony and some older Canon camcorders that allows electronic control of some of the electro/mechanical functions of the camera, generally on/off, standby/record, zoom/telephoto, white balance etc. These camcorders have a specific LANC control port, generally near the pause/record button.

After a brief look at the Aquatix info, it appears that you would have go with the second option, mechanical control of the pause/record button.

You could also look at an Equinox Pro-Pak 6, although mechanical, they do provide all 4 controls for the Panasonic DV series.

sjspeck:
No,
Control-L/LANC is a protocol supported by Sony and some older Canon camcorders that allows electronic control of some of the electro/mechanical functions of the camera, generally on/off, standby/record, zoom/telephoto, white balance etc. These camcorders have a specific LANC control port, generally near the pause/record button.

After a brief look at the Aquatix info, it appears that you would have go with the second option, mechanical control of the pause/record button.

You could also look at an Equinox Pro-Pak 6, although mechanical, they do provide all 4 controls for the Panasonic DV series.

Thanks for the feedback on LANC and the tip on Equinox.

Back
Top Bottom