Apple's iMovie does HD editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only use iMovie to edit underwater video when I'm working on board the Lindblad Expeditions ships. Personally, I've found it very tedious and non-intuitive compared to programs for REAL computers. Would be interested if other multi-platform editors have the same experience?

Dr. Bill

Well, I do have Final Cut Pro on my dual processor G5, but when you say "real" computers, do you mean ones that has constant virus problems, you periodically have to reload software and or reboot the OS, etc? You know, PC's running Windoze?

RebreatherDave:
Well, I do have Final Cut Pro on my dual processor G5, but when you say "real" computers, do you mean ones that has constant virus problems, you periodically have to reload software and or reboot the OS, etc? You know, PC's running Windoze?

Mac's have their problems too. Multilingual screen of death, permissions problems, Printer driver problems when 10.3 came out the fix required an archive and install of the OS.

Hee hee... I don't know why so many people complain about Windoze (I used to use Linux most of the time but the software I need these days is Windoze based). I have had as many (or more) problems with Mac OS'es than I have with my Windows systems (but I don't run 95, 98, ME and the like).

Final Cut Pro from what I've heard is a fine program. My complaint was re: iMovie. Of course there was a jab at Macs too... but that's mostly in jest.

Dr. Bill

I use iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Cinelerra, Premier, etc... iMovie is annoying if you know what you are doing. If you have no clue, like my mother, it is great. Personally, I prefer FCP to the others.

As I recall, use of anti virus software was much more common among the early MAC users I knew, than among the PC based crowd. Windows gets 'hit' more often, just because there are more of them. If you wanted to cause maximum damage, would you attack the a field in the middle of Iowa or Downtown New York? Why write a virus or worm to attack less than 10% of the computers out there, when you can attack nearly 90%? As to the fallacy that MAC's don't crash or lock up, only if you don't turn them on.

Let's not get into a Mac vs PC argument (it will never end). They both have their good and bad points.

As for the 10% argument... First, I think more like 5%. Second, true hackers and virus writers don't do these things to hurt the largest number of people possible. They do it to do something no one has done before. The "big" email virus were done because nobody had managed an attack at that level, plus they produced nice zombies. The Mac market is small, but it is also shining brightly. That it has only been attacked in small ways speaks volumes for security.

Macs do crash and lockup, particularly pre OS X. Not that I have had many, but every crash and lockup I have had since X was due to an application. Usually just the program dies. My current uptime is over 30 days.

Note: I said nothing negative about PC/Windows in this post. But I do have one major complaint about Macs. I can not download my dive computer to my Mac. I have a PC box just for this purpose, though I am thinking about reverse engineering the data stream.

gle:
Let's not get into a Mac vs PC argument (it will never end). They both have their good and bad points.

As for the 10% argument... First, I think more like 5%. Second, true hackers and virus writers don't do these things to hurt the largest number of people possible. They do it to do something no one has done before. The "big" email virus were done because nobody had managed an attack at that level, plus they produced nice zombies. The Mac market is small, but it is also shining brightly. That it has only been attacked in small ways speaks volumes for security.

Macs do crash and lockup, particularly pre OS X. Not that I have had many, but every crash and lockup I have had since X was due to an application. Usually just the program dies. My current uptime is over 30 days.

Note: I said nothing negative about PC/Windows in this post. But I do have one major complaint about Macs. I can not download my dive computer to my Mac. I have a PC box just for this purpose, though I am thinking about reverse engineering the data stream.

Virtual PC will work :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom