PAL and NTSC digital video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sorry this is a general question - not directly related to UW video. We have a Sony TRV330 video camera (Digital 8) that was damaged by a freshwater flood, and an Amphibico Buddy Plus housing that fits only this model camera. The TRV330 held out for a few months after the flood (after having been cleaned and dried) but is now terminally ill. I would like to replace it by another TRV330, since this is the only model that will fit the housing.

Now for the catch: I can find TRV330's on Ebay, but only from the US. Ours was bought in Europe. I don't understand enough about digital video to figure out whether the PAL vs NTSC format would create problems if we want to read tapes that have already been recorded. I assume that new tapes will use NTSC, and that during downloading and editing the software will make the necessary adjustments.

So my question is, what problems should we expect if we buy a US market Digital 8 camera to replace a Europen one? Or would I be better off putting the Buddy Plus on Ebay and starting from scratch?

Thanks already for any informed opinions!

Victor J.

vjongene:
Now for the catch: I can find TRV330's on Ebay, but only from the US. Ours was bought in Europe. I don't understand enough about digital video to figure out whether the PAL vs NTSC format would create problems if we want to read tapes that have already been recorded. I assume that new tapes will use NTSC, and that during downloading and editing the software will make the necessary adjustments.

So my question is, what problems should we expect if we buy a US market Digital 8 camera to replace a Europen one? Or would I be better off putting the Buddy Plus on Ebay and starting from scratch?

The tapes will record whatever format. I don't believe they are platform specific. If you are importing into a computer, there are usually format exporting options that will allow you to export into PAL or NTSC. Many TV's here in Europe are multi-format tv's and will support NTSC inputs (new model tv's anyway). It's mainly a frames per second issue that is the difference between the formats.

When we came here from the states, I brought our old DV camera. I also have used my inlaws PAL camera and done editing on my computer with both cameras. Once it's on your system and digitized, it's all the same and then you can export it to whatever format you wish.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to get the NTSC system as I'm sure you'll find it much cheaper in the states than here in Europe.

vjongene:
Now for the catch: I can find TRV330's on Ebay, but only from the US. Ours was bought in Europe. I don't understand enough about digital video to figure out whether the PAL vs NTSC format would create problems if we want to read tapes that have already been recorded.
I think you will be unable to play previously recorded PAL tapes correctly on an NTSC camcorder as the formats are different. They may play but will most likely be b/w with a lot of picture noise.

Usually a conversion from PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL is done using a device called a transcoder. If you have a newer multi-format European TV, it should be able to correctly play NTSC video when hooked up directly.
I assume that new tapes will use NTSC
I believe that DV tape is non-format specific, if it's an NTSC camcorder, it will record in NTSC format.

BTW PAL is a slightly better format for recording/playback.

NTSC records at 29.97 fps. PAL is 25. Many indie filmmakers in the US will use PAL camcorders for their film making if they plan on doing a final transfer to film because PAL is close to the standard film playback rate of 24 fps and it makes the transfer easier.

1) The tape will not care what format your camera is for recording
2) You will not be able to play previously recorded PAL tapes in a NSTC camersa or the reverse. If it does play, it will probably be black & white among other issues
3) Most popular editing software can handle either format.
4) You can by an external DV deck that can play both PAL and NTSC, but that sounds like more than you need.

Test your present TV to see if it will playback NSTC signal without any issues. As others mentioned, newer TVs usually can display either signal. If you plan on sharing the footage with friends and family you'll need to take their systems into consideration as well.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys & gals.

I think that I have found the solution:
- buy an NTSC TRV330 on Ebay to fit into the housing
- buy any old PAL Digital 8 camera to be able to play and/or capture existing tapes

In a couple of years we'll upgrade to a professional camcorder/housing combo. More about that later.

Victor J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom