What exposure protection are you using this time of year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WonderMellon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am usually down in Venice in the summer months when the water temperature is close to 90 degrees. Even then I still typically dive in a 3mm wetsuit.

Reading the recent posts I see the water temp is around 70-73.

What gear are you using at these temperatures? I currently have a 3mm full suit and a 7mm "Farmer John" style.

It seems that 3mm will be too little and 7mm may be too much. The dive shops up here do not have any 5mm suits in stock. I have considered wearing the 7mm top over the 3mm suit with my hood, but would like to hear some opinions from those of you with more experience.

Wondermelon,

It really depends on the person. I dive in a good sealed 3/3 in those water temps, but I'm usually one of the few in board shorts when the water is 80, while many other divers are still in 3mm suits.

I would say that if you typically still wear the 3mm suit in 90 degree water, you are probably more prone to getting cold and will probably be a lot happier with the 7mm than shivering miserable on the bottom in your 3mm. It's never as much fun when you're cold!

Last edited:
Gday there,
I used to be a tough guy diving thinner suits than everyone on the boat, and board shorts an a T above 80 degrees, but lately I've gone the other way as my dives are always longer than the clients, so I dive a 7 mm john and jacket all the way up to 75, especially if I'm diving steel 120 singles or 100's.
My dive buddy, in his 5mm plus hooded vest, was getting cold in Florida as the sea went below 70 and we were doing over an hour 4 times a day, but I was fine in the 7.

I too am interested because I am headed to Florida this weekend.
Was giving thought to bringing along a dry suit because of the low 70 deg temps.
Thanks, Jim

Mike,
You have a few choices : One questions is 3m a shortie ?
1. rent a farmjohn down here most shops have available , pm me I can give you number where to rent one and have it waiting for you on boat. A over and under with a hood would be perfect. water temp today 72..
2. Just buy a farmer john that are pretty reasonable will be able to use it many year to come...
3. if you get cold then above options are best but if you our a warm diver like some divers you might get away with 3 m and a hood..

my two cents... I dove with 7m today it was too much , I am going to opt for being little chilled with my 3m next time maybe wear hood to offset..

Thanks to you all!

I guess I will bring my 7mm and 3mm and between the combination of the 2 I should be fine.

You may need to get a few more weights Jamie, or I may need to just tie myself to the anchor to stay at the bottom. I did my advanced certification in my 7mm and needed 24 lbs. And that was in a fresh water quarry.

I agree with Matt. I'm kind of in the middle as far as sensitivity to cold, but my daughter is pretty susceptible. We were both diving Bare 4/5 Velocity suits and I was cozy, but she was shivering a bit after 90 mins (at around 72 degrees avg). I would have been uncomfortable in a 3mm after a while, but a 7 mm in my opinion is too much. You can probably find a 4/5 or a 5mm surf suit for $150 but if you're on a budget then try it with what you have. I feel too restricted in a 7mm especially for beach diving, but that's personal pref. BTW, don't forget to load extra weight especially if you've not yet shed the winter fat - we both had to bring a couple of extra lbs of lead due to the extra bioprene buoyancy lol. (10lbs fat -> 2 lbs lead)

Depends on an individual's tolerance to temps...I dive Venice regularly [depending on viz/seas] and in the spring/summer wear a 5mm 'farmer' over a rash guard...I take along a 3mm 'shorty' and will sometimes wear that over the 5mm, 'cause the temp can be cool in the morning dive or if it's over-cast....If you're fossil hunting you won't be moving around as much [and the current is negligible] so people tend to get colder......Wear something that protects your knees and a good pair of gloves too.....You won't feel it while your diving but you'll be digging/poking and kneeling and when you surface your hands/knees will be full of fine cuts and what feels like 'rug burns'......It's fun while your doing it but you pay afterwards :p !!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom