Events 1st week May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are coming down May 1-7 and staying in Lido Key. Are there any local scuba social events that week or happenings that you can let me know about [let's say w/in 50 miles?] Also looking to do a local wreck or 2 that week.

Last edited:
I am not in Florida but I may be able to help you with your kayak diving questions.

I'm not sure I have any questions. I just want to watch a group of kayak divers in action while I am down there on vacation and I know there are a few kayakers in that area from postings I have read.

As a solo diver you are in a position to get the most out of kayak diving if you want to try it surface supplied. When I first tried this I did it a couple of times with regular scuba gear and towed the kayak behind me. Then I decided if I am towing the kayak let it carry the tank instead of me. I took 50' of oxygen hose, spliced it between my 1st and 2nd stage and added a life line to tow the kayak with. This rig is only good for about 30' of water or less but it gets me places I would otherwise not be able to dive on Long Island.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 55
I'm a yak diver in the Venice area. We don't generally go out in large groups. I guess that's because of the nature of tooth diving. I may or may not be diving that particular weekend. It all depends on the conditions & when my gear gets out of the shop. (gettin' a new alternate air set up,:D) Anyway, give a shout out a little closer to the date & I'll be happy to show ya what I know, if conditions are good.:wink:

HAH! Im don't care about the conditions - I just want to get out of this friggin' drysuit for a couple days and get into warm water without 80+ pounds of gear on! If you see some fool off Siesta Key that weekend in a gale,pouring rain, 3' of surf and 1' of viz it'll be me. My wife just wants to lay on the beach all weekend, soak up killer rays and turn red like a lobster and I just want to be suspended in water half naked. I have a small 17' canoe here at home I might rig up some day and/or a little 10' John boat that I am cleaning up for close-to-shore diving, but I am interested in the kayak angle because of the exercise involved. I can kill 2 birds with one stone - diving and a workout. My only big concern is curious boaters messing with it while I am down under. Is that an issue with you when you do it by yourself?

It is not an issue for me as I am tethered to the kayak and can feel its motions. Been doing this for about 15 years and have yet to have anyone messing with the kayak while I am down.

Pretty much what Rich said. I tow the boat with me so I can feel it if the weather starts to change or someone plays with the boat. I use the kayak as my dive flag platform. Our problem down here is not so much anyone bothering the boat as it is having boaters pass, on plane, well with in the 100 yd. distance. DO NOT go out without a dive flag!! Tis the law down here & is the smart thing to do. Even if half the boaters ignore it.

I started kayak diving (for fossils) about 2 yrs ago. LOVE it... I tow the kayak along (D ring on my BC).... basically went to Ace Hardware/Home Depot and bought some strong BRIGHT yellow floatable rope. Works great.... As stated above a dive flag a must (as stated boats don't always pay attention, but the Police do and they do ticket). TIE everything down (in event you tip on way out or in). Also, TIE/secure your oar to the boat while diving. Getting on/off is not as bad as it seems. I am looking at weather and my work forecast :) and probably will be up there diving on 5/2. Feel free to PM on board or my FB page (link below). Take care...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom