Visibility on fossil dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner diver and I'm visiting Venice with my husband for a few days with our boat.

I tried going out yesterday (May 13th) to the Boneyard around 12:00pm and today to the Service Club Beach around the same time. Visibility was 4-6 feet both times with waves over 1.5 feet. Is this normal?

I've been watching the conditions thread and people were coming back with great reports. Am I going out at the wrong time of the day?

Thank you for any insight you can offer me.

6 ft. viz is considered good by us. I did S. Brohard yesterday & I would say viz was about 6 - 8 ft. I was also diving at high tide which can help with the viz. There was a lot of particulate matter, what I call snow, in the water as well which can make the viz seem less then it is. The bottom surface can also be a factor. A more gravel surface has better viz than say a silted bottom. I generally try to dive early morning before the winds kick up. The winds generally turn onshore in the afternoon which will also mess up viz. On this side we love east winds & hate west winds. I'm not an expert but I hope this helps.:wink:

sounds like excellent fossil diving conditions to me.

Total blackness with sea creatures ramming into you (intentionally or otherwise), now that is what I call not good conditions. Hate hearing about sting ray barbs in the legs and ribs broken from hard dolphin hits in the dark. Large sea critters leaving teeth marks in ones fins in total blackness sounds not so good.

Six foot rollers with chop is horrible. 1.5 foot waves sounds easy but then one must take the boat size and shape into consideration.

Ya gotta remember....................she's a new diver. Once she gets comfortable I'm sure she'll be able to handle "tempered" viz (that's viz so bad that the only thing you can see is the word tempered stamped on your face mask glass)

If you're talking about the Boneyard off Venice, that's about normal....Top-to-bottom is rare, 10' or better is considered a good day...If you're willing to go past the pier, Manasota, the viz down there tends to be better...It's the clay bottom which turns to silt that causes the viz to be low....Don't feel bad, I've dove the Cooper River and 3' is considered a 'good' day ;P !!!!!.....Braille diving w/alligators !!!!....

Thanks for the replies, you've all been helpful! We have a small boat, so the 1.5 ft waves really rock us. I'm hoping to come back on a calmer day with flat waters, and hoping they exist in Venice, occasionally.

I am sure that you check the surf/wave reports, but one site that I heavily rely on is SwellInfo.com (I don't work for them or have any interest other than diving). I find this site to be a bit more accurate than the general "2-3 ft choppy in bay" reports. It changes frequently (updates) so check it frequently. I also do underground weather (google it). It gives hourly forcasts. As to viz, agree with all the comments above. Good luck and happy hunting....

i just purchased 440 lumen's for a fossil dive this Saturday here is South Carolina. I will dive Venice about a month from now and I doubt I will use a light. It is usually not needed.

This is what I tell everyone out here too. I will admit tho, Fossil shark teeth shine a little differently than bone.. something about the enamel. But It's not necessary, and would suck to loose a 2-$300 light in the boneyard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom