TS Debbie is gone - Weather Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MegalodonCharters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Winds have finally died down, and we see blue sky. Hoping that vis clears up by weekend. We will definitely have nice fresh fossil beds out there now that everything has been turned over. We can't wait to get out and will post photos of our first dive out. Come and join us
941-483-3483

So I have only been fossil diving off Venice once about 2 years ago during DEMA. I have a house rented on circle drive from July 14-21. My question is.... If there is no more storms between now and then am I going to be able to get some decent diving in. Remember I am used to lake diving so bad viz for there is average to good for me. However we did have 10-15+ last weekend at Beaver lake in Eureka Springs Arkansas.
I have a couple spots reserved with FWS. for Mon. July 16 and plan on doing alot of beach dives. Was trying to figure out the best way to swim some extra tanks out with me. Might bring a Kayak. I am sure this has been done.
Thanks in advance for the info, and any tips, tricks, and good locations will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

So I have only been fossil diving off Venice once about 2 years ago during DEMA. I have a house rented on circle drive from July 14-21. My question is.... If there is no more storms between now and then am I going to be able to get some decent diving in. Remember I am used to lake diving so bad viz for there is average to good for me. However we did have 10-15+ last weekend at Beaver lake in Eureka Springs Arkansas.
I have a couple spots reserved with FWS. for Mon. July 16 and plan on doing alot of beach dives. Was trying to figure out the best way to swim some extra tanks out with me. Might bring a Kayak. I am sure this has been done.
Thanks in advance for the info, and any tips, tricks, and good locations will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

I usually just swim off the beach and swim back in switch tanks then go back out. If you see a boogie board with a bright dive flag on it, with ropes wrapped around it thats me.

Yeah. I just remember the last time I was there i ended up along way out and thought it would b convenient to switch tanks without coming back in. Do u think one could anchor a kayak good enough to sta put pr maybe tie itoff to something on the bottom?
Also i think we dove off casperson last time. What is the best spot? Or is there one?

I just swim out off there I havnt found a certain spot yet. I cover a lot of ground so I dont think anchoring is a good idea. you could just tow it while diving but I dont know how much drag it is

I just swim out off there I havnt found a certain spot yet. I cover a lot of ground so I dont think anchoring is a good idea. you could just tow it while diving but I dont know how much drag it is

(I supposed this belongs elsewhere, but I'll let a moderator worry about that.)

If you'll notice when there are kayaks in the water at Venice, most move about as divers tow them via their anchor. That way when you are getting back into the kayak, it stays put for loading goodie bag, scuba, etc. Allows you to take waypoints as well.

Anyway, I tow with a 1 kg claw-style anchor. Very handy for moving about on the bottom, don't need to compensate with added buoyancy. I anchored for about three years, but the long swim back to the kayak was a big pain.

On the other hand, when swells get big, towing can be work. However, it would be even more work then to swim back to an anchored kayak that has drug its hook a 1000 ft. in addition to the 1/4 mile you swam from your anchor point.

However, not that many kayaks have enough weight-bearing capacity (?450 lbs.) for the average size diver, all the kit, and an extra tank. No problem when it is calm, but quite a feat in heavy surf. Likewise, few have below deck stowage for an extra tank.

Plus, take it from me, it isn't as easy as it looks. You will probably want to start off with just one tank. My buddy and I can get 2 hours out of an AL80. Typically, by that time, I'm ready for a surface interval.

In any case, good luck whatever method you decide on.

Great info thanks guys. I would probably be doing good to get an hour and a half out pf an 80.
Oh well either way i am just hoping for a little viz and no storms.

Just booked a trip with Megalodon charters for Monday morning! Can't wait to dive!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom