Mammoth Jaw Bone update (need help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unseenabyss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok so I posted these pictures up here not to long ago, you have prob seen it.
photofmt.jpg

Ive had these sitting in a bucket of fresh water for about 3.5 weeks to get the salt out of the fossils. Now I took them out to dry. The only concern I have it where the molar roots are is very fragile and you can see mud in there still. So my question is do you think its fine? or will it cause a problem in the future? Should I leave it? or dig it all out?

p6270185.jpg

p6270186.jpg

p6270187.jpg

I am not an expert in restoration (still working on items/learning techniques). Not sure (without seeing it better), but if you are referring to the light colored stone, it is actually part of the mammoth's tooth/structure.... based on photos... From what I understand it is called "cement" and looks like really hard mud (almost marble). Helps hold the teeth in place/plates that make up the teeth together. I have been on some fossil sites (forums) and there are tons of people who could give you advice (I did one post and got like 34 responses in the first few days!). Again, great find... hard to say without seeing it in person and even then not sure I could give best advice. Try fossil forum people (no offense to any of us on here!) if you don't get answers.

I am not an expert in restoration (still working on items/learning techniques). Not sure (without seeing it better), but if you are referring to the light colored stone, it is actually part of the mammoth's tooth/structure.... based on photos... From what I understand it is called "cement" and looks like really hard mud (almost marble). Helps hold the teeth in place/plates that make up the teeth together. I have been on some fossil sites (forums) and there are tons of people who could give you advice (I did one post and got like 34 responses in the first few days!). Again, great find... hard to say without seeing it in person and even then not sure I could give best advice. Try fossil forum people (no offense to any of us on here!) if you don't get answers.
If you look in between the "marble squares" there are black lines. and thats just mud...its comes off on my finger. And i posted it on the fossil forum not to much luck :/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom