looking to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGA-Viking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
who would be interested in helping me get started in Venice Beach? Just looking for some guidance, on beach dives and other dive spots. Hoping to find out a little insight into fossil diving in the area. Who wants to go, and what's it going to take?:D I live in Naples, I don't know anyone in Venice Beach, thanks for the help, comments, remarks, etc...

Hey Viking, can't believe more experienced divers haven't replied yet.
I have shore dived Caspersen Beach quite a few times. A lot of the times I would just go to the first public park after the dog park on the right. I would get my stuff on and walk straight out the first wooden walkway and into the water. Probably about 1/2 mile out there were some large rocks that I swam around. Depending on the chance of luck, sometimes it was pretty clear, sometimes I could barely see. Seen plenty of snook, sheepies, mangroves, small groupers, etc... Seen plenty of small shark teeth and whale bones, never found a meg or much else. Hope it helps

Thanks ericbkendrick yep read all about it online, bought a book, looked at all the info I could find, just wanted to try and find someone to show me where to go, guess I'll just have to solo it or not go, I don't mind going solo, just didn't want to go solo the first time

I would meet you and go but I've got waaaay to much on my plate right now. Be careful though, I just saw a video of a 10' tiger shark off Sharkys pier which is right in the vicinity. People are chumming and fishing off the pier and that brings in the sharks. You may be able to just ride there and meet someone. When I've went, I've seen other divers. Be safe!

looks like its going to be a couple of weeks before high tide hits in the middle of the day anyway, and yes I saw that Tiger, not sure I want to meet that one face to face

If you're diving that close to the pier, you should be more concerned about the fisherman than the shark.

You can, but, as I said, the fishermen are the ones to watch out for. Many of them do not like divers and some won't hesitate to throw lead at you. I believe in Florida, you have to stay 300' away from piers.

I should be cleared to dive soon, and will be going up to Venice beach.

excellent, I am looking to go soon as well, if you think about it, let me know when you are going I could meet you, if you don't mind

excellent, I am looking to go soon as well, if you think about it, let me know when you are going I could meet you, if you don't mind

don't mind at all. Do you dive with an AGA? Do you have a buddy phone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom