Holes in backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was playing around with my 'new' BC in the tub (the wife has already gone to bed, so as long as I clean up my mess...) and found that the plastic backpack with wing attached is very nearly neutral. I was afraid that the backpack might be significantly buoyant, but it's not. It just barely floated, and when I put a 1# bean bag on it, it settled nicely to the bottom.

I know, I know, the backpack and wing are not 'vintage,' just 'classic,' but my question is about the backpack... mostly:wink: And I figured this forum would have the most knowledgable people WRT the old backpacks.

The backpack, of unknown heritage, has three 1/8” (4 cm) air/drain holes in it. Two along the bottom edge and one on the tank side, between the handle and the upper harness slots. It took a little maneuvering to get all of the air out of the backpack, and when I pulled it out of the tub it took several minutes for the water to drain out.

I'm thinking of drilling more holes in it, mostly so that the water will drain faster (why carry water weight any longer than I have to?), but also so that it will flood faster on descent.

I’m also thinking of putting more and/or larger grommets in the nylon wing cover so that the water will drain out of it faster. (Ocean Dynamics wing).

Is it worthwhile, or am I just being anal?

"if bc is still covered under warranty I wouldnt recommend it. And holes could weaken the plastic."

I don't think it is "new" in that sense of the word.

I doubt the extra holes are needed. If it really is a concern go ahead and add a few. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom