"Danger is My Business"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
"Danger is My Business" If memory serves me correctly, there was a TV show with that same name in the '50 ies. Along with Sea Hunt it was one of the programs that inspired me to become a diver.

I posted this in another thread, but due to technical difficulties the thread halted on its own. Anyway, I must beg Sam, Captain and Thalassamania to tell me I am not imagining things. (I was born in 1954)

couv

I do remember Danger Is My Business but not much else about it, but I don't recall it being a strickly diving oriented show.

captain:
I do remember Danger Is My Business but not much else about it, but I don't recall it being a strickly diving oriented show.
Right Captain,

It was not strictly an underwater/diving series, the diving just sticks in my brain. I seem to recall something about demolition (not u/w) too.

Col. John D. Craig was the host of Danger is my Business, and it had a lot of diving in it. Col. Craig was a hard hat diver, and once showed how to get out of a hard hat outfit underwater (with a knife, of course), if air was cut off to the helmeted diver. Google Col. John D. Craig for books, etc. Here is the Amazon.com address for his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Danger-my-business-John-Craig/dp/B00085QITE

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-2900457...ty,-daterank&field-author-exact=Craig, John D

I was of an age at that time where this show made a very good impression on me (about 10 years old).

John

Thanks guys,

John, I'll have to add his book to my wish list. I just got the wife a book store gift certificate :) When I went to the Amazon site, I noticed he also authored another book I read years ago, "Invitation to Skin and Scuba Diving." In fact, if I ever get unpacked from my last move, I might discover that I still own a copy. I have only lived in this house for 8 years so it may have to reside in the back of the closet until I find the time to finish moving in. You might guess that I am a member of Procrastinator's Anonymous, (our motto: Procrastinate Now!)

In an earlier life as a commercial diver, I had the pleasure of working with an old Moss Back who told me a few sea stories; one of them was about the time when he cut himself out of a Mark V diving dress.

Anyway, do you remember approximately when "Danger is My Business" TV series aired? Was it a documentary type of series?

couv

There was a cartoon character that used that line too. It wasn't Under Dog, or was it?

I would say that the show was in the mid-1950s, but that's about all I remember. Since there were only three networks at that time, it should be relatively easy to find. It was a weekly show for a while, and not a documentary, as I recall. Col. John D. Craig was the host, and they spotlighted different occupations that fit the title, "Danger is my Business."

I just did some "Googling," and found these entries:

Expedition! (ABC), with Explorer-Author-TV Producer John D. (Danger Is My Business) Craig as host, follows the 1959-60 trail of Tracker John Gunther as the show wanders the earth looking for Abominable Snowmen, African bushmen and socially disinclined jungle Indians in Brazil. The Frozen Continent, this week's opening program, extends TV's stay-at-home commuter service to Antarctica, nicely balances biological and geophysical information with its documentation of winter life near the South Pole.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,897614-2,00.html

Many other shows for Monday night varied through the years. Local offerings for 1959 included the Cisco Kid on Channel 4 at 6:30pm, Danger Is My Business on Channel 13 at 7, The Texan, starring Rory Calhoun as Bill Longley, on Channel 8 at 8:00pm, and Peter Gunn at 9:00pm on Channel 6. 1961 listings highlights such shows as Wells Fargo shown on Channel 6 at 8:30pm, Surfside 6 on Channel 13 at 8:30, and Adventures In Paradise on Channel 13 at 9:30.
http://www.historiccolumbusindiana.org/whatwewatched/whatwewatched.asp

"Well, that's it folks..."

John

Back
Top Bottom