Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Danger is My Business"

Defender!

's status: Under the
    totem pole.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

"Danger is My Business"

"Danger is My Business" If memory serves me correctly, there was a TV show with that same name in the '50 ies. Along with Sea Hunt it was one of the programs that inspired me to become a diver.

I posted this in another thread, but due to technical difficulties the thread halted on its own. Anyway, I must beg Sam, Captain and Thalassamania to tell me I am not imagining things. (I was born in 1954)

couv
    Thank you to all who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000+
    I do remember Danger Is My Business but not much else about it, but I don't recall it being a strickly diving oriented show.
    Nothing is foolproof to a truly talented fool

Law of Illogical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Getting old is not for wusses

NAVED master diver #105

Registered

active

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Man and the Challenge? great show, was this the one? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131178/

Google fails search Danger is my business.

You do have first 2 Sea Hunt sets from Amazon? Wonderful!

http://www.amazon.com/HUNT-32-DISC-B...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

I just ordered the 3rd set of episodes (I didn't know #3 was available)
    "God is at the bottom of the sea and
    I dive to find him."

Enzo Maiorca

Defender!

totem pole.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by captain
    I do remember Danger Is My Business but not much else about it, but I don't recall it being a strickly diving oriented show.
    Right Captain,

It was not strictly an underwater/diving series, the diving just sticks in my brain. I seem to recall something about demolition (not u/w) too.
    Thank you to all who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Blog Entries
    Col. John D. Craig was the host of Danger is my Business, and it had a lot of diving in it. Col. Craig was a hard hat diver, and once showed how to get out of a hard hat outfit underwater (with a knife, of course), if air was cut off to the helmeted diver. Google Col. John D. Craig for books, etc. Here is the Amazon.com address for his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Danger-my-busi.../dp/B00085QITE

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-2900457-...%2C%20John%20D

I was of an age at that time where this show made a very good impression on me (about 10 years old).

John
    I've been called an "old Coot." Well, that would be the American Coot (Fulica americana ) or mud-hen, and I've done my share of mucking around in low visibility, so it applies. But, you're never too old to learn something new.

Defender!

totem pole.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Thanks guys,

John, I'll have to add his book to my wish list. I just got the wife a book store gift certificate :-) When I went to the Amazon site, I noticed he also authored another book I read years ago, "Invitation to Skin and Scuba Diving." In fact, if I ever get unpacked from my last move, I might discover that I still own a copy. I have only lived in this house for 8 years so it may have to reside in the back of the closet until I find the time to finish moving in. You might guess that I am a member of Procrastinator's Anonymous, (our motto: Procrastinate Now!)

In an earlier life as a commercial diver, I had the pleasure of working with an old Moss Back who told me a few sea stories; one of them was about the time when he cut himself out of a Mark V diving dress.

Anyway, do you remember approximately when "Danger is My Business" TV series aired? Was it a documentary type of series?

couv

I'm a Goofy Monkey

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I'm going hunting for it now, trying to find some old episodes so I can check this stuff out.
    The Saltwater Junkie

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    There was a cartoon character that used that line too. It wasn't Under Dog, or was it?
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Defender!

totem pole.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    That was Cool McCool .....I was about 12 years old then so I remember it with a little more clarity.
    Check this site out for more on Cool.
    http://www.toontracker.com/coolmccool/coolmccool.htm

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Blog Entries
    I would say that the show was in the mid-1950s, but that's about all I remember. Since there were only three networks at that time, it should be relatively easy to find. It was a weekly show for a while, and not a documentary, as I recall. Col. John D. Craig was the host, and they spotlighted different occupations that fit the title, "Danger is my Business."

I just did some "Googling," and found these entries:

Expedition! (ABC), with Explorer-Author-TV Producer John D. (Danger Is My Business) Craig as host, follows the 1959-60 trail of Tracker John Gunther as the show wanders the earth looking for Abominable Snowmen, African bushmen and socially disinclined jungle Indians in Brazil. The Frozen Continent, this week's opening program, extends TV's stay-at-home commuter service to Antarctica, nicely balances biological and geophysical information with its documentation of winter life near the South Pole.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...7614-2,00.html

Many other shows for Monday night varied through the years. Local offerings for 1959 included the Cisco Kid on Channel 4 at 6:30pm, Danger Is My Business on Channel 13 at 7, The Texan, starring Rory Calhoun as Bill Longley, on Channel 8 at 8:00pm, and Peter Gunn at 9:00pm on Channel 6. 1961 listings highlights such shows as Wells Fargo shown on Channel 6 at 8:30pm, Surfside 6 on Channel 13 at 8:30, and Adventures In Paradise on Channel 13 at 9:30.
    http://www.historiccolumbusindiana.o...twewatched.asp

"Well, that's it folks..."

John
    I've been called an "old Coot." Well, that would be the American Coot (Fulica americana ) or mud-hen, and I've done my share of mucking around in low visibility, so it applies. But, you're never too old to learn something new.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast