Triple Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here's a post from Nemrod on another thread in which he discusses this manifold. I did notice that the one currently on ebay does have the 3/4 bushings.

Nemrod:
Nemrod Triple set up probably for steel LP 30s compared to a vintage USD doubles manifold as used on 38s/45s/50s and 72s.

DSCF0200.jpg

Note, 1/2 pipe thread on Nemrod and 3/4 straight on the USD. Both are clearly low pressure service with the fat O rings.

DSCF0205.jpg

Notice O rings on the Nemrod spreader tubes.
N

You may have to have a custom set of bands made for the tanks when you get them. I think Nemrod knows someone who might be able to do this for you.

You probably know about VintageDoubleHose.com, if not check out the vintage reproduction harnesses. I would think that the single harness would work for the triples, but I'm not sure, but this would be the place to find out.

6.9-inch 72s, if not touching eachother, would be pretty darn near to it. Might not work too well. Maybe there were other length of bars available, and the ones you're looking at might work? Ask the seller for the center-to-center measurements of the dip tubes.

Beware of the bushings. If you pump your own tanks, then have at it, but be very sure that the bushings provided are pressure-rated bushings, preferably stainless steel.
If you don't pump your own tanks, good luck getting a dive shop to fill them with the bushings. Although pressure-rated SS bushings are SCUBA "legal" here in the States (from what I understand), most LDSs don't have a clue about this.

Aloha CatalinaCanuck
Well, it would be a real nice set to have. Quite large, comparable to twin 72's in weight. Every once in a great while, a set of triple tanks crosses E-bay. But perhaps getting the parts and putting them all together would be easier.
I am going to think about this for a bit, and see what comes up. Plus do some shopping on e-bay.
Don't forget you need a nice Royal Aquamaster to go with this set.
Aloha Turtleguy9

Another source for bands would be a Guy up in Canada named Vic.
You can contact Vic at:

victor341968@hotmail.com

He made up some fine looking bands for my set of 72's with an older manifold that had 8.25" on center spacing. Cost for the bands was about $110 delivered. Quality was right on with what you would get from Highland Mills.

He also made up a set of tripple bands for a firend. What he wanted was the manifold so that he could take exact measurments from it and the exact diameter of the tanks you will be using. For that manifold you may want to go with low pressure 30's or you could try new alumnium 40's.

Tripple 40's would be a sweet way to make up a 120 that keeps real close to your back.

I got to think about this for a bit.

Checking wallet and looking at wife and kids - not today

Look closely at Nemrod's first picture. You'll notice that the spacing between the stems is much more narrow then the standard USD valve (i.e. only 7" on center spacing).

Maybe Nemrod or others can provide more details concerning what would work with this manifold.

I second Victor for the bands, his are very nice and resonable priced.

There were different arms of differing length. Apparently in Europe there were tank sizes we never had here. I have tried to learn what tanks would have been used with such manifolds with no luck. I suspect they had to be 30s or 40s due to the narrow width. That manifold is designed for 2250 psi service and while it may be possible to reliably use it at 3,000 that was not what was intended.

N

Thanks for all the good info, I think I'll try to peice it all together.

Turtleguy9:
Don't forget you need a nice Royal Aquamaster to go with this set.

I've been checking out E-bay, but may just buy a totally reconditioned functional regulator for my first double hose setup. I've checked with Vintage Scuba Supply and Ron Miller's website. Should you have another source, please let me know, Turtleguy? I'll be diving the regulator in 40 to 50 Degree fresh water.

BTW I really like how supportive the vintage community is of new & wannabe(me) vintage divers.:D

www.vintagescubasupply.com and www.vintagedoublehose.com often have nice reconditioned regulators for sale. Often you can purchase or trade with other members of the vintage community.

The Nemrod company made some strange manifolds. Your not going to build triple 72s on the triple manifold pictured above and I have a Nemrod Double manifold which also has strange spacing, it is 7.8 inches c/c. Most older double manifolds are set at about 8.2 inches. Victor can custom make bands to fit most arrangements but I am at a loss as to what cylinders would have been used historically with these Nemrod manifolds. The triple set pictured above is about 7.2 inches c/c. Apparently in Europe there were some tanks of less diameter than the typical 6.9 inch diameter of 38s, 45, 50s and 72s as we commonly see here in the US (during the 60s) when these manifolds were sold. So, when you be-bopped into a LDS in 1966 and told the guy in there you wanted the purty Nemrod Triple manifold with 7.2 spacing and oh, give me that cute little double manifold there with the 7.8 spacing, exactly what tanks would have the LDS guy sold you to go with them--in 1966?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom