Aqualung Conshelf VI and vintage rig questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slonda828

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone,

Based upon what I've been researching, vintage SCUBA (single or double hose) is generally considered before 1975. I came across an Aqualung conshelf vi, and it's in excellent shape. I've heard that getting a conshelf serviced is fairly easy because the modern conshelf is very similar in design. I have a few questions for the guys who have been around, if I may:

- What year/year range was the conshelf VI made?

- A typical diver during this period may have utilized a plastic backpack (as in not a BP/W or a BC), a first and second stage regulator, and a SPG. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many divers did not use octos during this period. I'd like to construct a full setup consisting of a single hose two stage regulator, back pack, tank, SPG, mask, and full-foot fins that are typical of the period. I'm pretty sure the mask and fins will be repro, because I am not having ANY luck finding useable vintage masks and fins that aren't trashed. Does this sound about right?

I will admit that this is not my era, but growing up all the guys I saw on TV were using 70's gear. I always thought it would be cool to dive a rig like that, and it seems more challenging than doing it the more modern way. I'm not saying that I'm going to use this rig all the time, but I'd like to link up with a few other folks whom dive vintage and help keep this part of SCUBA alive. What do you guys think?

Slonda

I found the Conshelf VI for the first time in the 1965 US Divers catalog and I have scanned copies up to 1968 and they all show the Conshelf VI. I don’t have any later scanned catalogs.

By the time I started working in a dive shop in 1971 we had a newer model Conshelf, but I can’t remember which model.

It would be appropriate to use Scubapro Jet fins since they have been around since 1965.
Oval masks are available from VintageScubaSupply.com and other sources.

You can also find many back packs appropriate to the period.

Also pressure gauges of that time period are fairly easily found.

We have vintage equipment dive gatherings in many parts of the country. The double hose regulator tends to be the central focus of most vintage equipment divers, but some do use vintage single hose regulators.

Welcome to vintage equipment diving. It is a lot of fun.

I found the Conshelf VI for the first time in the 1965 US Divers catalog and I have scanned copies up to 1968 and they all show the Conshelf VI. I don’t have any later scanned catalogs.

By the time I started working in a dive shop in 1971 we had a newer model Conshelf, but I can’t remember which model.

It would be appropriate to use Scubapro Jet fins since they have been around since 1965.
Oval masks are available from VintageScubaSupply.com and other sources.

You can also find many back packs appropriate to the period.

Also pressure gauges of that time period are fairly easily found.

We have vintage equipment dive gatherings in many parts of the country. The double hose regulator tends to be the central focus of most vintage equipment divers, but some do use vintage single hose regulators.

Welcome to vintage equipment diving. It is a lot of fun.

Thanks Luis,

It sounds like my setup is fairly typical of the period I am looking for. Did they ever make jet fins in any color other than black?

I have seen Jetfins in yellow and have also heard of other colors, but my understanding is that those are from the 80’s. I am fairly sure that in the 60’s all Jetfins were black.

The Conshelf VI was available from 1966 through 1969. In 1970 it was replaced by the Conshelf XI. These USD catalogs (1960-1979) are available on CD from VDH. If you are interested in recreating a certain era of vintage diving, an interesting method is to select a particular year, say 1968, then research the various catalogs of active companies during that year. Sooner or later each particular piece of dive gear of your chosen year will be available, via eBay or maybe by just asking on VintageDoubleHose.com Many participants in that forum have gear from that era and will be willing to assist you in your acquision. Vintage diving is a blast. If nothing else, you definitely get some different looks when you dive that gear.

Excellent info guys! I'm going to check out those catalogs and start assembling my pieces.

Thanks again.

S

You can get round oval masks from Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators . Fins other than Scuba Pro Jets could be a challenge but if you watch ebay occasionally nice early USD fins show up.

The Conshelf XI is a good regulator and that is the one you should look for. It had a large exhaust T and a few other improvements over the earlier Conshelf.

You should also scout ebay and other places for a yellow or black USD safety vest, those are cool, not a BC but a CO2 powered surface flotation vest. Snorkels, well, there was a brand new one recently on ebay, actually right now, they too show up regular.

The hard part id finding a wetsuit, good luck with that. Beware, there is a scam artist on ebay that sells new smooth skin suits. He shows up under different aliases and comes and goes and he will steal your money.

By the early 70s nylon two (Nylon 2) etc was common in wetsuits, you can have wetwear make one, they are expensive. Vintage suits of this era would be two piece, beaver tail, twist or snap locks.

Good luck.

N

Did they ever make jet fins in any color other than black?
They did make a red white & blue jet fin. But I think that was only 1976 for the bi-centennial. If you watch, they are occasionally on e-bay. I think they are more of a collectors item.

You can get round oval masks from Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators . Fins other than Scuba Pro Jets could be a challenge but if you watch ebay occasionally nice early USD fins show up.

The Conshelf XI is a good regulator and that is the one you should look for. It had a large exhaust T and a few other improvements over the earlier Conshelf.

You should also scout ebay and other places for a yellow or black USD safety vest, those are cool, not a BC but a CO2 powered surface flotation vest. Snorkels, well, there was a brand new one recently on ebay, actually right now, they too show up regular.

The hard part id finding a wetsuit, good luck with that. Beware, there is a scam artist on ebay that sells new smooth skin suits. He shows up under different aliases and comes and goes and he will steal your money.

By the early 70s nylon two (Nylon 2) etc was common in wetsuits, you can have wetwear make one, they are expensive. Vintage suits of this era would be two piece, beaver tail, twist or snap locks.

Good luck.

N

Nemrod,

Didn't quite a few divers use regular full foot swimming fins like Churchills, Voit, Aqualung, and others? I was thinking about using a full footed fin just because I don't have any. I'd really like to keep this super minimal and dive it with just a pair of old swim shorts when the water is warm enough. I'm definitely going to get one of those VSS masks. Do you have one from them? If so, how do you like it as far as visibility and such?

Thanks man.

S

Hey guys,

I've been looking through old catalogs, and it seems I can pretty much choose between an AL80 or a LP72 for my tank. If I'm going to dive skin I think a LP72 may be too heavy for me (I only need one lb of weight when I dive skin) without a BC, so I was thinking about the AL80, maybe try to find one like the early Aqualung one that they made in the 70's. The buoyancy characteristics of that cylinder are a lot more conducive to diving without a wetsuit than the 72 I think. What do you guys think?

S

Back
Top Bottom